Dormiliciouse

Veggie Pasta

It is no secret that pasta is a fan-favorite food, but let’s be honest with ourselves, buttered noodles are not very nutritious. Let’s get some vegetables in our diets with my easy pasta sauce spice-up! 

You’ll need:

• A Pot 
  • A Pan
  • Dry Pasta 
  • Pasta Sauce (Tomato, Vodka, Alfredo)
  • Oil 
  • Veggies of Choice: my favorites for this recipe are Onion, Zucchini, Bell Pepper and Red Cabbage.
  • Minced Garlic (or Garlic Powder)
  • Spices: Salt and Pepper, Oregano, Tyme, Chili Flakes
  • Cheese for topping: Goat Cheese or Parmesan 

Directions

1. Start by boiling your pasta for as long as you like, depending on if you’re an al-dente person. Half a box of pasta usually suffices if it’s just me eating, but that’s up to you. 
  2. While your pasta cooks, get a saucepan out and set your stove to medium heat. 
  3. Add your oil, diced white onion (about a quarter) and a teaspoon of minced garlic. I get mine pre-minced from The Cave. 
  4. Dice your bell pepper to whatever size and shape you like. In this case, I am using three mini bell peppers. 
  5. Add it to your oil and onion. It is important to add your hardest veggie first; carrots being the hardest of the veggies if you’re using them. 
  6. Roughly chop and add your cabbage to the pan, about a quarter or less. 
  7. The last veggie I add is half a zucchini, cut into half-circles, because it cooks fast. As usual, amounts are up to you, depending on portion size, amount of people you’re feeding and if you want leftovers. There’s really no measurement when I cook. 
  8. Once all your veggies are sauteing, add your seasonings. Measure with your heart. I am a fan of thyme, and usually put a good amount in, whereas I use less chili flakes because I don’t like my sauce too spicy. 
  9. Cook about seven minutes total, or until the veggies are as soft as you like them. Covering with a lid helps speed up the process. The nice thing about this recipe is that the timings of the veggies and pasta usually match up, and you’ll be ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! 
  10. Once your veggies are almost cooked through, add in your pasta sauce, about half of the jar.
  11. Cover your pan again and cook for a few more minutes on low to heat up your sauce.
  12. Once your pasta and sauce are cooked, you’re done! 
  13. Plate up and garnish with salt and pepper, and your cheese of choice. I might lose some of you here, but I like to top my veggie pasta with goat cheese because it adds a tangy, creamy element. I have been told by multiple people that they think it’s strange that I add veggies to my pasta sauce, but don’t knock it ‘till you try it! There is something so satisfying about the juicy and slightly crunchy veggies with the pasta, and I’ve never met an unhappy eater. 

Try out this quick, easy and satisfying meal, then meet me back here for another week of Dormiliciouse!