Dormiliciouse: Miso Salmon with Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans 

Strap in folks, because today we’re making a full spread. My friend got a huge salmon filet from Costco last week, prompting a dinner party! Let’s test our cooking skills and make a real classy dinner. When making more complex meals with lots of moving parts, it’s nice to have a helper (thanks Pablo)!

Ingredients

• Salmon
  • Potatoes of your choosing
  • Oil
  • Spices (thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper)
  • Soy sauce
  • Ginger
  • Miso 
  • Sesame Oil
  • Garlic
  • Lemon
  • Green beans
  • Dijon mustard

Tools

• 2 baking sheets
  • Oven
  • Pot
  • Big bowl

*Put your rice maker on before starting anything else 

Roasted Potatoes 

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. Cut your potatoes into quarters or smaller, depending on the type of potato you’re using.
  3. Grab a baking tray and plop your potatoes onto it. Drizzle a heavy amount of high-heat oil (preferably avocado). Sprinkle your thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper onto your potatoes and mix them with your hands. 
  4. Place your tray into the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, mixing them halfway through. Check your potatoes after 30 minutes, testing for softness. They should be soft all the way through with a slightly crispy outer layer. 

*Your salmon and potatoes will have overlapping cooking time in the oven, ideally coming out at the same time.

Salmon 

1. Your salmon should be cut into the portion you need depending on the amount of people eating. In our case, we did half a full salmon; small portions for four people. 
  2. Make your miso glaze by combining around 1/8th cup of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of ginger, 1 tablespoon of garlic, a heaping tablespoon of miso, a dash of sesame oil and a teaspoon of brown sugar. We guestimated measurements, so portions are dependent on how much salmon needs glaze.
  3. Oil another baking sheet and slice one lemon into four round slices, placing them linearly in the center of your pan. Place the salmon skin down on top of the lemon. 
  4. Pour and spread the miso glaze on top of the salmon, making sure as much as possible doesn’t fall off the fish and onto the pan. 
  5. Put the salmon in the oven above the potatoes (that should have been cooking about 10 minutes before). 
  6. Cook your salmon for 10 minutes, checking how cooked it is, giving it another round of 10 minutes after each check. Your salmon should be juicy and rich in color, but tender and easily cut with a fork. If you have a food thermometer, the internal temp should reach 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Honestly, we just cooked it until it looked right and sliced open the middle section to make sure it was cooked through. 

Green Beans 

Make your green beans after the salmon and potatoes are in the oven.

1. Wash your green beans and cut the ends off, just taking the pointed butts off. I keep mine long, but you could half them.
  2. Boil a pot of water, adding a large scoop of salt. Once the water is at a rolling boil, plop your green beans in and set a two minute timer. 
  3. Here, we are doing a cooking process called blanching. Before your timer goes off, prepare a big bowl of cold ice water. Once the green beans have cooked for two to three minutes, drain them using a strainer and immediately dump them into the ice water bath. Leave them in there until your sauce is ready. This technique ensures the green beans are cooked but still green and crunchy.
  4. Make your dijon sauce, it’s super easy! Just combine a tablespoon of dijon mustard with a tablespoon of olive oil (1:1 ratio). Add a small pinch of salt and emulsify by whipping with a fork.
  5. Strain the cold green beans well, place on a serving dish, then pour the mustard sauce on top. 

Once your rice is cooked, potatoes and salmon are out of the oven, and green beans are dressed, you’re ready to eat! Make a bed of rice, add a slice of salmon, and put the potatoes and green beans on the side.

The pairing of perfect salty, slightly sweet, miso salmon with tangy and crunchy green beans and roasted potatoes is such a hearty, satisfying meal. Any dinner guest will be impressed! Eat up, and I’ll see you back again for another installment of Dormiliciouse.