Dormiliciouse: Miso Soup

Miso Soup 

Alongside the plain rice I’ve been eating almost every single day, I make a small bowl of miso soup. This warm and cozy soup is a healthy food packed with nutrients and great for your lungs. It’s super quick to make, warming and healthy!

Ingredients

• Dashi and White Miso
  • Water 
  • Soy Sauce
  • Sesame Oil
  • Seaweed
  • Tofu, silken 

Kitchen tools

• Pot
  • Whisk

Recipe

1. Start by measuring the amount of water you want. I usually do around 1 cup per person. Pour your water into a pot and put it over high heat on the stove. The important thing with heating the water for miso is to make sure that your water never boils! Too hot of water kills the good properties of miso. Only heat your water until it is hot, but not yet at a rolling-boil.
  2. Once your water is heated, add about a tablespoon of dashi miso and/or white miso paste. You don’t need both, but dashi miso is the way to go if you only get one because it is more flavorful. Whisk the miso into the heated water. I also like to add a teaspoon of soy sauce and sesame oil to my miso. 
  3. Slice up a small amount of tofu, about ⅛ of a block, into small rectangles and add them into your miso. Soft, silky tofu is best for this, but I just use the firm tofu they have at the Cave. Give the tofu a few minutes to warm up in the broth.
  4. Taste the soup, adding more miso to taste, and top with crushed seaweed. 
  5. Pair the miso soup with any dish, but I have been putting it on the side with white rice topped with a fried egg. 

Slurp up and I’ll be back next week with another installment of Dormiliciouse!