Dormiliciouse: Mango Sticky Rice

Fern Creson

Mango Sticky Rice

One of the best desserts of all time, in my humble opinion, is Mango Sticky Rice. The coconut sauce, hearty rice base, and tart mangos make it the perfect refreshing, not-too-sweet, after dinner treat. I’ve actually been eating it for breakfast! It seems like it would be hard to make, but if you have a rice cooker it is an unbelievably easy and quick dish to make.

Tools:

• Rice Cooker
  • Spatula 
  • Saucepan
  • Can Opener
  • Knife

Ingredients:

• White Rice
  • Coconut Milk 
  • White Sugar
  • Salt
  • Mango

Instructions: 

1. Start by washing your rice a few times. For every cup of rice, add an extra ½ cup of water. In this case, I made 1 ½  cups of rice, and topped it with 2 cups of water. Turn on your rice maker and let it do all the work!
  2. Dump one can of coconut milk into a pot, and set it to medium heat. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt, and three tablespoons of sugar. Mix constantly until the coconut milk is heated, but not boiling. (I recommend waiting until the rice is about 10 minutes away from being ready, so the sauce is ready just a little before the rice.)
  3. Once your rice and sauce are done, open the rice cooker and pour in a little more than half of your coconut sauce. Use a plastic or rubber spatula to gently fold the sauce in. Close the rice cooker and let it sit.
  4. With the remaining sauce, we’ll make a glaze to go on top of the dish. Start by adding a heaping teaspoon of cornstarch to a tablespoon or so of water and mix. This is called a ‘slurry.’ Add the slurry into the sauce, along with another teaspoon-ish of sugar. Turn the heat up to medium-high, and mix the sauce consistently until it’s thickened up.
  5. Once the rice and sauce are done, slice up a mango. The easiest way I’ve found is to half the mango, scoop it out with a spoon, then slice it. Plate the dish by scooping a cup of rice, placing the mango, and topping it with the thickened coconut cream. 

Enjoy your restaurant quality Mango Sticky Rice. Thanks for a great year reading Dormiliciouse in The Spectator! See ya next year

-Fern