The Spectator’s Statement on Coverage of the Israel-Hamas War

The Spectator would like to update our readers on our lack of coverage thus far regarding the Israel-Hamas War (as referred to by the Associated Press)—a conflict which has cost the lives of over 1,300 Israelis according to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and over 6,500 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip according to the Palestinian Health Ministry, a number that grows by the hour. This is the most recent development in a long and bloody history in the region, as of Oct. 25.

This development began Oct. 7 when Hamas militants killed hundreds of Israeli citizens in indiscriminate shootings and bombings, prompting an Israeli military response that has killed thousands of Palestinian citizens. That response seems to be just the beginning, as the IDF has clarified that it will “expand operational activities,” with a ground invasion of Gaza being repeatedly mentioned by Israeli brass. The United Nations (UN) has recognized the IDF’s response as “collective punishment” and a war crime against civilians.

As student journalists, we have been working in the past weeks to provide readers with coverage that is unbiased, informative, empathetic and factually accurate. We have run into roadblocks that have forced the editorial board to delay stories pertaining to the ongoing bloodshed. However, we feel that rushing our coverage would be a disservice to the gravity of the situation and our university community. 

As editors, we hold ourselves and our publication to high standards of journalistic integrity. We also recognize that part of that integrity is acknowledging when we are noticeably quiet on major world events and we will not make excuses for that absence of content.

As a newspaper, we are committed to platforming voices in our campus community, particularly those who call for social justice. As such, we encourage everyone to read the statement written by the Seattle University Muslim Student Association and Students for Justice in Palestine and co-signed by 33 campus clubs and organizations calling for solidarity and support for the people of Palestine. We would like to express our support for our fellow campus organizations and condolences for all who are grieving.

We appreciate your patience and continued readership, and we expect to share articles in the coming weeks.