Chris D’Elia Throws a Real Bash at Neptune Theater

ANNIE CHANG • THE SPECTATOR

“Everybody was taught from an early age to believe they’re special, but in reality we just pretend to be the main character in the movie of our own lives.”

ANNIE CHANG • THE SPECTATOR
ANNIE CHANG • THE SPECTATOR

Nobody is safe and nothing is sacred. Chris D’Elia has no limits. Everyone and everything serves as material for him to tear apart and ridicule. D’Elia is anything but politically correct, but he doesn’t give a damn. He manages to completely bash on society, but in a way that is so hilariously true that you have no choice but to laugh.

He relentlessly makes fun of people in the audience, but what an honor it is. D’Elia is one of the few people who you want to be made fun of by and actually enjoy it. D’Elia is an energetic personality who paced around the Neptune stage and laughed manically at his own jokes.

The stage was as colorful as the jokes. D’Elia is an awkward presence, but he embraces the awkwardness and makes it truly endearing. He’s the type of guy who probably crashed his high school prom. Heck, D’Elia will probably crash his own wedding. D’Elia does what he wants, and nobody can say anything about it. If I threw a party and D’Elia crashed it, drank all the alcohol, trashed the place, and insulted me the entire time, I would thank him.

D’Elia went from talking about peeing his pants in the shape of Australia to talking about his friend’s little kid and the cute things the kid said. It was a variety show as well as a comedy show. He never lingered on one topic for too long, so the jokes never got stale. He had perfect timing and transitions from one topic to another.

The reason D’Elia’s comedy works is because instead of targeting and making fun of certain groups, he goes off on everyone. If any other comedian would have made a joke about how gay it was that his friend bought him a perfectly fitting pair of pants, I would have thought it was inappropriate and offensive. But when D’Elia went on a long and impassioned rant about how gay it is that how his friend must have eyeballed his hips and gauged his size perfectly I was cracking up. He even went on to address the expected backlash.

“Nowadays people get real sensitive when you use that term. They’ll be like ‘you know what that’s actually not cool to use that term in a derogatory manner.’ Yeah, I 100 percent agree with you, I don’t mean it in a derogatory way. I mean it’s gay. Buying your friend pants that fit is gay like doing a guy. And that’s okay, do guys all day long. But it’s gay like that.”

D’Elia perfectly encapsulates our selfish generation. He says the things that we are all thinking, but nobody actually says; things like secretly resenting the fact that he has to get people gift on their birthday. “You didn’t die, that’s all that happened. And now I have to get you a VCR or something? That’s my gift to everyone on their birthday from now on. A VCR.” He then went on to say that he gets mad when people get him gifts that he doesn’t like on his birthday: “That’s another thing I don’t want to do. I don’t want to pretend I like the gift you got me.” Get out of my mind, D’Elia.

The show didn’t feel at all scripted or pre-planned. It felt like he just went onto the stage and winged it, said whatever he was thinking, and somehow made it work. The dictionary definition for goofball should be changed to “Chris D’Elia.” Nothing else, just his name. Not very many people can get away with doing Karate kicks on stage and making jokes that use mainly curse words as adjectives. He’s like a middle school boy that’s actually funny. His silly antics are a delight to behold.

D’Elia managed to unite the entire crowd in laughter, and he reminded us that we are all secretly horrible people. If you want permission to laugh at the things that you usually can’t laugh at, D’Elia is the stand up comedian for you.