Students Keep on Falling for Fall Fashion

Cam Peters • The Spectator

Trying to pin down exactly what the fall fashion trends are this coming school year is a particularly daunting task when everyone is, for lack of better term, different.

Cam Peters • The Spectator
Cam Peters • The Spectator

A wardrobe consisting of mainly cool tones.

Seasonal fashion is like philosophy class in the sense that it is what you make it and interpret it to be. What drives us to make the style choices we do, besides the fast-approaching cold weather, is uniquely individualistic and borrowed all at once.

“I’m from Arizona and this weather is definitely impacting my wardrobe,” freshman Melissa Bernardo said. “My current autumn trend is warmth.”

While the fashion world is ever evolving, there are some recurring styles that always seem to be a staple when the leaves start to change color. The tried and true flannel is a crowd pleaser with the Seattle University student body, along with the ever-present ‘comfy-cute’ style, ever accompanying the unbearable drop in temperature.

“I get a lot of my inspiration from the things that I see. I have a very flowy style,” junior Ali Campbell said. “I don’t like to wear anything that’s too tight. I want to feel very comfortable, but still represent and express myself in the way that I dress.”

Knit sweaters, beanies and scarves galore are bound to make a reappearance. The wonderful thing about sensible fashion choices is that conserving body heat never does go out of style.

Then you have the opposite side of the spectrum, where deep, bold colors—in lipstick shades and statement coats—permeate campus. Edgy combat boots and leather have just as much bite to them.

“Dark colors are slimming, so half of my closet is black,” junior Craig Jaffe said. “I’ve got to look good for all of those creeper snapchats that I’m likely in the background of!”

World renowned fashion magazines like Elle and Vogue are praising floor length styles, whether that be pantsuits or slip dresses. Adding touches of fur, or drawing upon Neo-Victorian influences is also what the fashion gurus at those magazines expect to be big this season.

Clothing chains like Forever 21 and Express are pushing for the black and white trend, with simple, put-together styles that are glammed up with accessories.

“If I ever feel stuck in a rut on what to wear, I just throw on whatever and try to pick one aspect of my outfit to focus on,” freshman Katie Hancock said. “That way there’s at least one part of my outfit that makes me feel good about myself.”

Cam Peters • The Spectator
Cam Peters • The Spectator

From left to right: Xander Kipp, Frances Flinn, and Nicole Amdahl.

Other stores like H&M are taking a rather different approach to fall fashion this year. After recently casting a hijab-wearing model in their latest campaign, a twist on what is conventionally advertised as beautiful is already making waves.

H&M is advertising fashion trends that break the so-called ‘mold’ of society, advocating for a style that is entirely your own, whether that means gender-bending outfits, or wearing what you want regardless of age, or race.

Going against ‘industry standards’ and the face of what is usually advertised is ever-growing in popularity as fueled by companies like H&M.

“Many people see fashion as something trivial or superficial,” freshman Imani Damodaran said. “I see it as a way of really expressing who I am. What I wear feels like an extension of myself that the world can see.”

The purpose can be to solely look good for yourself or others but oftentimes what you wear can be a testament to your culture, your upbringing, or political and social beliefs. Adding deeper meaning to this season’s fashion is continuously coming back into style through various advertisements and articles in the media.

Whether you shop at upscale boutiques, or peruse the local thrift shops around Seattle U’s campus, the avenues and opportunities to express yourself through what you wear are endless.

“What I love about being at Seattle U is that no one cares what you wear,” sophomore Dale Tran said. “You can do you, and it’s awesome because you think it’s awesome.”

The norm that seems to ring true this fall is that there really is no set ‘norm.’ Let the new trend be whatever trend you want it to be. From mismatched patterns, or plain, average clothing, to the tried but true denim on denim ensemble, everything, and anything, is welcome.

Vikki can be reached at [email protected]