Check Out This Gorge-Ous Lineup

To some it is a mythical woodland creature, but to us it is one of the greatest music festivals of the spring and summer.

On this past Monday night, the lineup for the Sasquatch Music Festival was announced live from the Neptune Theater during a launch party put on by the festival, Live Nation and Adam Zacks. The event, hosted by John Roderick, featured musical performances by Cold War Kids, St. Lucia, Sir Sly, and Derek and Pete from The Cave Singers. Toward the end of the night, the lineup was revealed.

It was announced over the summer that, for the first time, the festival will be held on two separate weekends rather than just one, meaning there will be more bands, more comedians and more fun for all. This year’s festival will be held on Memorial Day weekend, May 23 through May 25, and Fourth of July weekend. Each weekend has a completely different lineup.

Presale begins for both weekends on Feb. 6 on Live Nation; tickets are $325 for one of the two weekends or $550 for both weekends.

Memorial Day Weekend

Outkast

Outkast will be the headlining act for the first weekend of Sasquatch. The hip -hop duo began in 1992 and has gone on to win six Grammy awards including Album of the Year for “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below” which is really two solo albums from each member put together. Their albums have sold over 25 million copies. Since 2007, the two members have done some solo work but are reuniting this year for a festival tour.

Kid Cudi

Kid Cudi is a Grammy award winning rapper who started his rise to fame in 2008 when he put his mixtape “A Kid Named Cudi” online as a free download. Kanye West became a fan and got him to sign on with G.O.O.D. Music. His first single, “Day ‘n’ Nite” had more than two million digital downloads. In 2009 he released his gold-selling album “Man on the Moon: The End of Day” which was ranked #4 on the Billboard Top 200. The sequel to that album got ranked #3 upon its release. He is now preparing to release his third solo album “Indicud.”

Tyler The Creator

Tyler, the Creator is a rapper, graphic artist, fashion designer, and producer who performs with the hip hop collective known as Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All (OFWGKTA) and has his own record label, Odd Future Records. His latest album, “Wolf,” was released in April 2013, with singles such as “Tamale” and “Lone.”

Raz Simone

Seattle’s own Raz Simone will be performing this year after going on his first tour in 2013. His music stemmed from writing poetry and then sharing his powerful words. He performs all his songs and makes music videos under his own label known as Black Umbrella. He will soon be releasing “Cognitive Dissonance: Part 1” in which he takes listeners deep into his own mind. Last year, Simone made some appearances at Seattle University including a performance during a KSUB broadcast.

Fourth of July Weekend

Local Natives

This Los Angeles band has only released two albums, but has found a lot of popularity in both America and Europe. The first album “Gorilla Manor” jumpstarted their fame by putting them on tour through several theaters and music festivals as both opening and headlining acts. Their most recent album “Hummingbird” was released earlier last year. The album was created based on the emotions felt by the band by experiencing the highs of their growing fame and the lows of lost relationships over the course of that fame.

Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk began in Germany during 1970. They are a music project known for creating what are called “sound paintings” through electronic music. Their performances feature computerized rhythms and robotics to show off the futuristic style of electronic music. They will be using 3-D projections to create a visual spectacle that is sure to get the party going at Sasquatch.

Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean began his career writing songs for other performers such as Justin Bieber and John Legend. But in 2011, he released his very own mixtape and featuring songs like “Novacane” which showcased his ability for songwriting and storytelling. Since his rise in fame he has worked with artists such as Kanye West and Jay Z. He is a great performer and is considered one of the greatest characters in R&B.

Soundgarden

A band rooted from the Pacific Northwest will be the headlining act during the July weekend of the festival. Soundgarden was a popular grunge band throughout the ‘80s and ‘90s who decided to call it quits in 1997. But, in 2009, the band got together again. Their latest album, “King Animal,” was released in 2012 and features a variety of music over a wide range of subject matter. They are a real “alternative” band that is excited to be performing close to home again.