Gerry and the Golden Bachelorettes [REVIEW & SPOILERS]

Luca Del Carlo

As the child of divorced parents, I feel like I’ve watched “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” play out in real time. The current season of The Bachelor, entitled “The Golden Bachelor” features Gerry Turner, a 72-year-old from Indiana, who models hope for new beginnings and love in his golden years. 

The high ratings proved that the Bachelor spinoff was a smart move on ABC’s part, as “The Golden Bachelor” premiered with the highest series numbers for an ABC show on Hulu. What might not have been expected, however, was for the show to appeal to a wide audience. 

Turner married his high school sweetheart Toni in 1972. After 43 years of sharing a life together, Toni became ill and died suddenly, leaving Turner a widower. In a heart-breaking interview, Turner became emotional as he described the loss of his wife and how his life path was no longer clear. Six years after Toni’s death, he’s found happiness through the love of his daughters and granddaughter. But he finds himself wanting more, wanting a partner to go through life with. 

I want to fall in love. I really want to find my person who can put me in my place when I need it and make me smile. The person who can lay down beside you at night, and not have to say anything,” Turner said in a confessional. 

“The Bachelor” is a sensation, scoring ratings when very few shows register with a wide audience. Jill Schwartz, a producer and television executive who has worked on shows like “American Idol,” talked about what makes this show such a hit. 

“I’ve been watching “The Bachelor” since it came out, from the very first episode. I’ve seen every season, every variation from “Bachelor in Paradise” to ”The Bachelorette.” This show displays the dynamics of dating and how you choose who you’re going to spend your life with. It’s a fascinating social experiment,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz also noted that the casting significantly added to the success of the show.

“The audience fell in love with Gerry, a kind and charming man who shows strength and perseverance,” Schwartz said. “In a world with so little hope and joy, so much chaos, are there any men left?” 

A bachelor like Turner elicits hope in what and who might be out there. Watching him find love, connection and fun with these women leaves the audience feeling hope. 

“It’s funny, sad, sweet, real and inspiring,” Schwartz said. 

In the first episode, audiences meet the 22 women who are looking for the same things. We get a look into their backgrounds, and what brings them to the big screen in pursuit of love. Some women are divorced, some have never been married, and others, like Turner, have suffered loss. 

Theresa is a widow who talks openly and in loving memory of her late husband and the father of her children. During her time with Turner, she feels giddy and excited, something that had been missing for quite some time. This experience awakens and brings life to her. She and Turner tell each other “Don’t stop believing,” which leads them to a flash mob of dancing and kissing. 

Ellen, a contestant on the show whose best friend is suffering from cancer, also talked about the hope Turner and the show bring her. She said that it brings her hope for new beginnings in a stage where not much is new or beginning. Her best friend told her to never give up. 

“The Golden Bachelor” is exactly what people need to see, a love story playing out for those past middle age. For people who believe that chapter in their life is over, that they missed their window, “The Golden Bachelor” turns that around. It presents the idea that love is timeless. 

“The Golden Bachelor” is entertaining, heartwarming, amusing and mournful, and keeps viewers invested in the love stories playing out on the television screen. It’s clear that the audience hopes to see more from Turner and the Golden Bachelorettes.