The Music Scoop

TARYN OKAMOTO • THE SPECTATOR

Best of the Beatles:
Fun Facts about the Legendary Group and My Top Ten Songs

The Beatles are arguably one of the most iconic bands of the ‘60s whose image has created a legacy all over the world, specifically in the realm of rock. The Beatles have inspired a variety of artists like Lady Gaga, The Flaming Lips, and Nirvana. Here are some fun facts about the rockin’ group, as well as a collection of my favorite songs by them with a small description for each.

The Beatles Fun Facts

TARYN OKAMOTO • THE SPECTATOR
TARYN OKAMOTO • THE SPECTATOR

The 1960s was an important decade of activism and bohemianism – the practice of living unconventionally with few permanent ties. The Beatles became a propeller for these ideas which fueled movements such as women’s rights, gay liberation, and environmentalism.

The song “Strawberry Fields Forever” is named after the garden of a Salvation Army Orphanage where Lennon would often visit during his childhood years. Today, New York City’s Central Park has a 2.5-acre Strawberry Fields memorial that is dedicated to the memory of Lennon.

Before deciding on their final band name, the group went back and forth from Johnny and the Moondogs to British Everly Brothers. One of the band’s early members suggested “Beetles” and for a time the band was actually known as the Silver Beatles. John Lennon is normally credited with changing the band name’s spelling to “Beatles” to reflect Beat music and the Beat generation.

My Personal Favorite and Most Timeless Beatles Songs*

*in no particular order

“A Day in the Life” from “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” (1967)
This song has a melancholic beauty to it. Written by Lennon and McCartney, this track is a great example of the experimental nature of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.” Apparently the song was actually influenced by Lennon’s LSD experiences and revelations, which makes sense because of the kaleidoscopic instrumentation and the beat switch in the middle of the track. There’s something about this track that makes me feel like a kid again, and maybe that’s why I adore it so much.

“You’re Going To Lose that Girl” from “Help!” (1965)
Aside from the candid lyrics, this song is a catchy gem. Its Beach Boys-inspired vocals simply provide easy listening and good vibes.

“Yesterday” from “Help!” (1965)
A rather solemn ballad, this song is good to play in the background when you’re having a “meh” kind of day. I interpret this song as the singer coming to the realization that the turnpikes of life are inevitable and pain can easily be hidden beneath hope.

“Here Comes the Sun” from “Abbey Road” (1969)
A classic, hopeful and sunny track. For me, I associate this song with certain soundtracks of classic childhood movies, like The Parent Trap. The track’s title displays optimism, but it’s definitely heightened when it’s blended with the cheerful instrumentation.

“Ticket to Ride” from “Help!” (1965)
When you take a closer look at the lyrics of this song, it’s actually kind of sad. But the soft and bouncy instrumentation makes you forget the lyric that goes, “I think I’m gonna be sad, I think it’s the day.”