Student’s Guide: How to Take a Break

CONNOR MERRION • THE SPECTATOR

Highlights of fall quarter: watching the sun rise while typing the final words to a five-page essay, seeing the best moments of life flash by while falling down the stairs in the Student Center and capturing iconic fall Instagram-worthy pictures before getting drenched by the Seattle rain.

These are the college moments that test students and make their college experience a memorable one. But to take a necessary break from the college experience, there are a few ways that Seattle University students are spending the upcoming breaks.

CONNOR MERRION • THE SPECTATOR
CONNOR MERRION • THE SPECTATOR

During Thanksgiving and Winter break, some students are leaving to spend time at home with their family and friends. As cheesy as it sounds, going home is like a walk down memory lane, with people and places serving as reminders to heart-warming moments.

Raisa Steger, a second-year student, is excited to go to her favorite places around her hometown with her family and friends.

“I am looking forward to traveling with my family over break and visiting my favorite local café, Tea Room Café,” she said. “Tea Room Café is one of my favorite places because everything is locally farmed and made and it is where I have shared so many memories with my friends.”

Some other students are planning to stay in Washington state for the upcoming breaks. On Thanksgiving Day, Housing and Residence Life will be providing a free Bon Appetit lunch on Nov. 23 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Bellarmine Lobby to those students. The meal includes turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and other dishes for students with dietary restrictions.

Students who are staying during Thanksgiving break also have the opportunity to explore downtown. Throughout the entire break, Westlake Center and Seattle Center are busy with events that welcome in the holiday season.

On Nov. 24 at 4:30 p.m. Westlake Center will be hosting a free tree lighting event followed by the Macy’s Star lighting and Fireworks event. The city will be putting up a carousel and sprinkling fake snow for the festivities, in addition to ringing in the holiday spirit with Christmas music and colorful lights.

Sophomore Ben Smith also recommends stopping by Seattle Center for the holiday season.

“During this time at the Seattle Center, they transform an area in there into an ice rink,” he said. Also located in Seattle Center are, “the Space Needle, MoPOP and Pacific Science Center [which] are really cool with all of their lights.”

During Winter break, some students who are staying in Washington are organizing trips to explore other towns in the state.

Last year, third-year international student Lucia Wang traveled to Leavenworth, Washington and enjoyed the atmosphere of the town so much that she plans on visiting again this year with her roommates.

“It was very magical. As an international student, everything I have ever thought about America is from movies, but Leavenworth is better than the movies. Everything is Christmas-y, with the lights, Christmas decorations, hot soup and sandwiches,” she said.

Leavenworth is a German Bavarian themed town located two hours east from Seattle University. Every year, the town hosts seasonal festivals like their Christmas Lighting Festival which was created by community leaders. The town also has a Nutcracker Museum, which has over 6,000 nutcrackers on display, a local bakery that serves an assortment of breads, pies and cookies, and a locally owned espresso bar and coffee roasting company.

Regardless of whether students are leaving or staying for break, it is important to take time during the break to rest and recharge.

“It’s just nice to recharge your batteries. For me, that means going up to the mountains and taking time to relax and get re-centered,” Smith said.

Steger said she likes to refresh physically by hiking, walking and catching up on rest during the break. She also refreshes mentally and emotionally by creating an environment that brings her joy.

“For me that means surrounding myself with family and friends, taking time to enjoy my neighborhood while I’m walking my dog, and traveling to new places with my mom, dad, and brother,” she said.

Steger says that students should dedicate the time off to truly being a break in order to prepare for the next quarter.

“Don’t stress about the new quarter, but go in with a fresh mindset.”

Hunter may be reached at