Time Out Session With Cross Country Captains

CAM PETERS • THE SPECTATOR

Sarah Bliesner (Sophomore) and Chay Weaver (Junior) are asked about their experience as captains for the Women’s and Men’s Cross Country teams.

CAM PETERS • THE SPECTATOR
CAM PETERS • THE SPECTATOR

Sarah Bliesner and Chay Weaver, the captains of the XC team.

Q: What does it mean to you to be named captain?
CW: It’s a responsibility. It’s an honor really because it’s a great group of people. It’s not difficult when you are with such awesome people. It’s fun for the most part.
SB: It is definitely an honor. Our team is super new so it’s an honor with the team and coach knowing I can lead this team. They have confidence in knowing as just a sophomore I can lead them.

Q: What responsibilities do you have now as captain that you didn’t before?
SB: We are doing a lot of new stuff weights wise and stretching wise so just helping the freshman learn how to do these things and getting the whole team focused. As captain I need to facilitate the team.
CW: Just being on top of everything is huge. Just knowing what times
we need to be places, who needs to be where at what time, who is cross training instead of running, getting the van keys; just little things I never had to do before. I am an extension of the team to the coach.

Q: How are the teams shaping up this year?
CW: We have a great group of guys. Since we’re all experienced and older we have high goals and are motivated to get there. We are working to keep our energy high and stay with it until championship season comes along.
SB: A lot of talent graduated last year so with a new team we don’t have too many expectations set, but we like that. The new people are huge contributors and keeping them motivated is super important, just letting them know that they can play a big role on our team. A big part of it is also reminding them what they are doing well.

Q: What goals have you set for your teams?
SB: We want our top five under 18 minutes for 5K and under 22 for 6K. Top three in the Western Atlantic Conference is also our goal.
CW: On the men’s side we only have one big goal in mind and that is a WAC championship. We have the talent and people to get there so we just have to keep working and grinding.

Editor may be reached at