Rolling Out the Red Carpet

This Sunday, it will be time to roll out the red carpet as the 86th Oscar Awards will air at 4 p.m. on ABC.

The Oscars have always been the most prestigious award show for films and as an avid movie watcher myself, I love watching to see who wins. Like any other year, the best movies and actors have been nominated for their performances and movie lovers everywhere will be tuning in to see who gets the awards.

It is no question that the awards people care about most are the awards for best picture, actor and actress in a leading role. The nominees this year for best picture are “American Hustle,” “Captain Phillips,” “Dallas Buyers Club,” “Gravity,” “Her,” “Nebraska,” “Philomena,” “12 Years a Slave,” and “Wolf of Wall Street.”

Of these nine nominated films, I have only personally seen three of them. Having only seen one third of the films, I couldn’t possibly be able to judge a winner. But I’m going to anyway. “Wolf of Wall Street” had to have been the best movie I have seen in a few years. Granted, it was a little long, but the story was enticing throughout. There was not a single moment I didn’t feel entertained. The cast was fantastic and they did an amazing job of portraying what life was like big names on Wall Street. Despite being three hours long, I would watch it again and again.

The other nominated films I saw this year were “American Hustle” and “Gravity.” I do believe American Hustle was a great movie. A cast featuring Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams is sure to be a knockout. But it just didn’t compare to how great “Wolf of Wall Street” was. And in my personal opinion, despite the great cinematography of “Gravity,” I didn’t think the movie was that great as a whole. I didn’t feel invested in the story.

Having not seen the other six movies, I cannot adequately judge them, but I will be very surprised to see one of them win. If they do, I will make sure to watch it as soon as I can. But do keep in mind; I am by no means an expert on movies.

Given the amount of praise I have given to “Wolf of Wall Street,” it should come as no surprise that I am confident in the fact that Leonardo DiCaprio will be taking home his first Oscar this year for the best performance by an actor in a leading role. The fact that he hasn’t won one yet is astounding but given the incredible performance this year, I would be shocked to see him get snubbed again.

When it comes to actresses in a leading role, it is difficult for me to predict a winner. I thought Amy Adams was great in American Hustle but I have a feeling Sandra Bullock will be taking home this award for her “out of this world” performance in gravity. And I mean that in the literal sense.

For a complete list of the nominees, click here. And be sure to tune in this Sunday to see who gets to bring home an Oscar.