Timeout Session: Cameron Tyson Becomes Seattle U’s All-Time 3-Point King

Image courtesy of Seattle U Athletics

Cameron Tyson has been one of the players that has reinvigorated the Seattle University Redhawks’ hunt for their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1969.

Last season was another shortcoming on that front, as the team lost in the first round of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Tournament to Grand Canyon University 84-79. The team ended the year with a 20-12 record. 

Tyson, throughout his three campaigns with the Redhawks, has been named a WAC player of the week three times—most recently from Dec. 18-26 as he poured in 33 points Dec. 20 against Louisiana Tech and became the program’s all-time leader in 3-point shots made.

Tyson sat down with The Spectator to discuss the record and the status of the team. 

The following is a condensed excerpt from an interview with Tyson. Questions from the reporter are paraphrased for brevity.

RZ: The team is 9-2 at home vs. 1-5 on the road. Does not having fan support at away games play into that?

CT: “SU has done a great job of making the Redhawk Center very energetic and a fun place to play for us, the fans bring so much energy, and I know for me it’s easy to get up every time you walk in the Redhawk Center… when you go on the road you have to provide your own energy, and you have to rely on just the 20 people who are with you on that trip to provide all the energy and just know you got each other’s back.” 

RZ: How does having your brother D’Marques on the bench with you at every game, who was a proficient 3-point shooter himself, help you?

CT: “I just think he gives me so much advice on whether my shot’s going in or not falling that night, he keeps my confidence high, and doesn’t just want the best for me but everyone on the team, and just seeing [D’Marques] grow [as a coach] since I’ve been here has been amazing to watch.”

RZ: How do you think your style of play now might differ compared to the beginning of the season?

CT: “I think our overall team style plays unique in this conference, everyone has their style and what winning looks like for them, these Texas schools get out and pressure you, Cal Baptist will pressure you—we try to be more physical and hang our hat on the defensive end in the half court and go make everything tough, and don’t really pride ourselves with pressuring in the full court. We feel that we’re a tough, hard-nosed team to score on in the half court.”

RZ: Transitioning to the Louisiana Tech game Dec. 20, that was a big moment for you here. Collegiately you sit third overall among all active DI players. Walk me through that night against Louisiana Tech and having Aaron Waite, the previous record holder, there and getting that moment in the locker room. 

CT: “Meeting Aaron was great, he’s a phenomenal dude and his excitement for not only me but this program was amazing to watch and the support he gave us and showed us that night, was something I know I won’t forget. And as far as the game, when you’re in it you don’t really know how many threes you need to break a record, you’re just playing the game. But during the game it had came up on the jumbotron that I broke it. There was still a game going on so winning the game has always been the most important thing to me and I was just happy we got out of that game with a win.”

Aaron Waite played at Seattle U from 1988-1991 and held the 3-pointers made record for nearly 32 years until Tyson broke it in that Dec. 20 game, nailing his 240th career 3-pointer as a Redhawk and surpassing Waite (239). Waite reflected on being at the record-breaking game last month. 

The following is a condensed excerpt from an interview with Waite.RZ: Were you able to go after the game ended to see Cameron or how did that transpire? 

AW: “Someone from the program came up and said, ‘Hey we’re going to have you give the ball to him,’ and they were throwing water all on the coaches, they just had a huge win right there, and they were all just excited. And then the coach stopped it, pulled Cam up and allowed me to give him the ball. It was a special moment for me personally. To be there when the team got a humongous, maybe their best win of the year in overtime at home and to be part of that momentous moment was just incredible for me, I was overcome after I left the gym that night. So, yeah, it was neat.” 

Waite himself is planning to attend the WAC tournament in Las Vegas from March 13-16. The 10-7 Redhawks are currently working to meet him there, as they are fifth in the conference standings and vying for another chance at the NCAA Tournament.

1