Catching Up With Fall Sports

Sean Alexander

Before students arrive on campus and classes commence, student-athletes are already in the city, hard at work. Some teams even begin competing over a month before the Fall Welcome. Here’s how the last month and a half have gone for Seattle University athletics.

Cross Country

The men’s and women’s cross country teams have had a great start to their 2023 seasons. The Redhawks had their second meet Sept. 30 at the Charles Bowles Invitation hosted by Willamette University in Salem, Ore.. 

The top performers on the men’s and women’s teams were Yonas Sauers and Azalea Groleau. Sauers ran the fastest time in Seattle U history, with a time of 23:52.60 in the men’s 8000m. Groleau placed fifth with a time of 17:25.50 in the women’s 5000m, improving significantly from last season.

Before leaving for the meet this weekend, Head Coach Kelly Sullivan shared some goals he has for the upcoming race and for the rest of the season.

“I just really want to see people improve, and just get better at what they’re doing,” Sullivan said. “We have seen a lot of growth and when people are doing more mature decision-making and really showing a passion to even want to be better at what they do in their sport, then the performances just naturally happen.” 

The three-week training period between the first meet and the second has shown to be beneficial with standout performances. The Redhawks will get a breather and chance to train more as they prepare for their next meet Oct. 14 at the George Oja Linfield Invite in Salem once again. 

Volleyball

On the hardwood, Seattle U Volleyball has continued their season—showing off their newly-added freshmen. Outside hitter Naima Foster, being one of these freshmen, notched over 10 kills for the 10th time in the last game the Redhawks played against Stephen F. Austin, finishing with 11. 

Junior outside hitter Arianna Bilby considers Foster a standout player.

“She is a freshman, starting on the outside with me and she is just a blast to play next to,” Bilby said. “She is a great player, she’s got a high volleyball IQ and is just super fun to play with.” 

As Seattle U faces the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Oct. 5 at the Redhawk Center, they are hopeful to pull out a win for their Family Night. 

Bilby states that this is one of their primary goals moving forward in the season.

“For the team, more wins for sure,” Bilby said. 

They have had a competitive season so far—with their 5-10 record this season eclipsing their 4-18 mark from 2022. The Redhawks are working on growing as a team and continuing to build on the base that they created last year. With all the new freshmen and transfer students, they are well on pace.

Again, Bilby put the spotlight on the newcomers. 

“I think we have brought in some really talented girls on the team that have made a pretty big impact immediately,” Bilby said. 

After playing at home for family night, the Redhawks will face Utah Valley in Orem, Utah Oct. 9 and then Southern Utah in Cedar City, Utah Oct. 12. 

Golf

Men’s golf will continue their season with their third tournament coming up at the Oregon State Invitational. 

Freshman Kevin Li leads the Redhawks, as he has shot the lowest score out of his teammates in the first two tournaments of the season. But, Senior Blake Kukula follows closely behind placing second out of the Redhawks, with only one stroke more than Li at their opening tournament. Li also managed to place in the top-15 at their most recent tournament—the Nick Watney Invitational—in Fresno, Calif.. The team finished 10th overall at the event.

With the rest of the fall season and full spring season ahead of them, the men’s golf team is looking to improve both individually and as a team. 

Women’s golf has participated in two tournaments thus far. 

Transfer Sophomore Tsara Ralamboarison shot the best score out of her fellow Redhawks in her season debut at the Leadership and Golf Invitational in University Place, Wash.. She placed first overall in the tournament with a score of 218 over three rounds. 

At their second tournament of the season, the Gonzaga Invitational in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, Junior Shayna Lu led the team scoring a personal-best of 68 over a single round. She scored a combined 213 strokes and tied for seventh overall. The team finished third overall, following that top finish with fifth place at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Invitational Oct. 3. 

After placing second in the 2023 WAC Championships, the women’s golf team is on pace for more victories and another top finish in the conference championship in 2024.