Sports Week In Review

JAVIER PLASCENCIA ● THE SPECTATOR

Men’s Swimming

Men’s swimming competed last weekend at the Redhawk Center against Air Force. Air Force proved to be stronger as they took the victory, 119-83.

Notably, Junior Greg Raper took first in the 50-yard freestyle coming in at 20.95 seconds and Seattle U won the 400-yard freestyle relay. Senior’s Mitchell Crossen and Ian Keane, as well as Sophomore Isaac Parker and Raper, finished the race with a time of 3:07.69.

Women’s Swimming

The women’s swim team also fell to Air Force at a collective meet score of 136-68.

Junior Julia Gorman took first in the 200-yard freestyle 1:58.81. Sophomore Allison Plamondon won the 100-yard freestyle at 53:8 seconds while firstyear Sarah Carr took second place.

The women’s 400-yard freestyle squad took first with Gorman, Carr, Junior Jayna Van Stone, and Sophomore Allison Plamondon in the relay clocking in at 3:38.04.

Men and Women’s swim will compete Feb. 2 for senior day.

Men’s Basketball

Despite holding a commanding 50-37 lead at half time, the Redhawks fell to Utah Valley University (UVU) on Saturday night by a final score of 8878. This was UVU’s 21st consecutive win at home.

Without the injured Matej Kavas, the Redhawks started the night off strong. Morgan Means and Delante Jones scored 20 and 16 points respectively but failed to score in the second half.

During this second half, the Redhawks shot just 7-27, an overall field goal percentage of 25.9 percent.

Terrell Brown added 16 points of his own and Myles Carter completed his seventh double-double of the season, scoring 16 points while hauling in 10 rebounds.

JAVIER PLASCENCIA ● THE SPECTATOR
    JAVIER PLASCENCIA ● THE SPECTATOR

Madeline Dopplick with the open shot against Utah Valley

Women’s Basketball

Women’s basketball competed against UVU at home on Saturday. After the Redhawks led for most of the match, Utah Valley rallied for a 58-55 point finish.

First-year Courtney Murphy and Junior Kamira Sanders took advantage of the UVU defense while Junior Carla Bieg dropped two three-pointers for the best first quarter of the season.

The Redhawks led in the first quarter 25-10. Utah Valley would start to catch up during the second quarter and gained a slight lead going into the fourth quarter where they closed
    it out.

Joana Alves led the Redhawks, scoring with 17 points and grabbing eight rebounds. Bieg followed with 15 points, from the bench.

Track and Field

Seattle University competed in their first meet of the indoor season at the Dempsey University of Washingtonn Preview where many of the top West Coast colleges and clubs compete. Three Seattle U competitors set personal records.

First-years Isaiah Payne and Brant Yamamoto made their collegiate debuts in the 60-meter dash finishing in 7.10 seconds and 7.33 seconds respectively. The two would also run the 200-meter dash with senior Alexandro Carrasco. Payne finished in 22.73 seconds, Carrasco at 23.75 seconds, and Yamamoto at 24.10 seconds.

Juniors Kailan Claiborne and Steve Brown ran an exciting 400-meter dash. Claiborne raced from behind to win the heat in 52.85 seconds, Brown in 52.88 seconds.

First-year Stewart Keene debuted in the 600m, finishing at 1:22.71.

Back from injury, Senior Jacques Hebert placed second in the mile at 4:21.74.

Seniors Eli Boudoris and Cal Davison-Turner personal bested in the 3k at 8:25.11 and 8:43.86 respectively.

The Men’s 4x400m relay included Brown, Keene, First-year William Sun, and Sophomore Devin Hasty. The relay completed in 3:32.43.

Sophomore Michaela Moore and Junior Renee Soliman ran the 60m dash, finishing at 8.01 and 8.50.

Redshirt Senior Caylah Lunning and Moore ran 26.81 and 27.19 respectively in the 200m.

First-year Chloe Deleissegues ran the 400m in 1:01.51.

Junior Michelle Newblom and Sophomore Nicole Golba finished the 60m hurdles at 9.5 and 9.99.

First-year Elle Stein personal bested in the 3k at 10:49.76.

Lunning and First-year Sophie Heyman long jumped for 4.97m and 4.59m, while first-year Rachel Van Liew and Junior Laurel Mack-Wilson high jumped for 1.45m as First-yeaRowan Cuadrado jumped 1.40m.

First-years Jami Tresselt and Tallia Sova threw the shotput 10.83m and 10.72m respectively.

“It was a great day of competition for us today, especially with this being the first collegiate indoor meet for so many on the team,” Chad Pharis said. “We are looking forward to the next meet in two weeks where we can build off of today’s successes.”

Editors Note: Alexandro is a member of the Seattle University track and field team.

Alexandro may be reached at