Seattle U Baseball Ready for WAC Tournament

Saturday was senior night and the parents threw out the ceremonial first pitch to their respective graduating senior. Saturday was also the last of three games to Grand Canyon University (GCU) before the team travels to the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Baseball Tournament. The Redhawks were not able to pull off any wins, being defeated by Grand Canyon Thursday, May 17 with a score of 12-3, Friday 5-3 and Saturday 7-5.

Although the team did not win their games, there were still some positive to take away from their last games for the season at Bannerwood Park.

In their game on Thursday, the Redhawks were not able to gain much momentum against GCU, but there were some solid performances, such as the one shown by senior Curtis Perrin. Perrin scored a home run along with another.

On Friday, The team came close to rallying and catching up with Grand Canyon. They were behind 5-0 in the sixth inning and united to score three runs. The Redhawks played good defense and prevented GCU from scoring again, but unfortunately no more runs were secured and the game ended in a score of 5-3.

In their final game at Bannerwood Park, the Redhawks lost again to GCU, but many of the team’s seniors showed a strong presence. Senior Austin Lively got four hits, seniors Sean Sutton and Cameron Sterne got two hits each and seniors Dalton Hurd, Curtis Perrin and Lucas Denney each collected a hit.

The Redhawks overall record is now 33-22 and they go into the WAC Championship as the fourth seed. The team will travel to Mesa, Ariz. to take on fifth seed Northern Colorado. The Redhawks have been preparing for the tournament all season, and they have high hopes.

“The main (goal) is just to win the WAC tournament, that’s what we have been striving for every year,” Senior Mechanical Engineering major Cameron Sterne said. “We were close in 2016 when we had a really good team and lost in the championship game in the WAC tournament so just to get back to that stage.”

No matter what happens in the tournament, the Redhawk seniors can leave reflecting on the fun times and friendships they have made over their careers playing baseball at Seattle U.

“We have a lot of team confidence because we have played a lot of games together, being so old, so we are always happy and excited and feeling like we are going to win,” senior Business Econ and Finance major Sean Sutton said.

The team will kick off the WAC Tournament against Northern Colorado on May 23.

Bailee may be reached at