Men’s Golf Gains Valuable Experience at Championship

The Seattle University Men’s Golf team concluded their 2017-2018 season at the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championship held at the Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan.

The WAC Championship stretched from April 23-25.The Redhawks came up short of their own expectations, finishing sixth out of the seven teams competing, ending the tournament at 49 strokes over par as a team.

Despite the disappointing result, the team remains optimistic and have their eyes towards the future.

“We want to win conference championships, we did it last year and there’s that hunger in everybody and we’re trying to create that culture,” sophomore Greg Gionfriddo said. “I think we’re getting better as a team. I think we’ve got a lot to look forward to. We had a really young team, we had one senior on our team and no juniors, so it’s really cool looking into the future. All in all, I think the season is a boost especially for the next couple years.”

The Redhawks’ lone senior this season was Joe Harvie, who had the best individual performance in his final tournament with Redhawks. Harvie tied for the seventh best individual result in the tournament, shooting seven-over-par.

“I didn’t have my best stuff, but I was able to give myself a chance to win which is always nice. I would have liked to come out on top but sometimes it’s not your time,” Harvie said.

Harvie plans to pursue a professional golf career. He will continue playing as an amateur this summer and as of now plans to turn pro after next fall.

“I’ll pursue that, give it a few years and if it works out great and if not can always go work,” he said.

Harvie reflected on how his time at Seattle U prepared him for a pro career.

“I’ve learned a lot of lessons. I’d say probably the biggest thing is coach has taught me how to really get the most of my practice, which is something that going to be really beneficially going forward. Especially because when you are playing professionally you don’t have as much time, so being able to get the most out of the short time I’m able to practice is really going to be beneficial,” Harvie said.

With Harvie headed to the pros, Gionfriddo and fellow sophomore Zack Overstreet will become juniors and the only upperclassmen on the team. Gionfriddo spoke about their roles on the team next season.

“It’s up to us to kind of continue to create that culture and I think that is really the responsibility we can hold ourselves to,” Glonfriddo said. “Is try to be an example for the young guys. Whatever coach needs from us, we got to be there to do it.”

Alec may be reached at