Seattle U’s Alex Roldan now a Seattle Sounders Starter

Alex Roldan may be a well-known Redhawk for his leadership and skill these last four years on the men’s soccer team, but now the Seattle University senior is starting to make a name for himself on the Seattle Sounders. After signing with the team on Feb. 13, 2018, the 22nd pick of the first round (22nd overall) in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, Roldan has steadily moved his way up to game play.

Roldan had his first MLS start on April 15 against Sporting Kansas City, starting at left-mid. His brother, Cristian Roldan, started alongside him at defensive mid. Roldan made a crucial assist to his brother, leading to Seattle’s second goal during a 2-2 road draw.

“He’s doing really well, I’m very proud of him, he has quickly moved into a spot where he is considered in the starting line up,” Seattle U Men’s Soccer Head Coach Pete Fewing said.

Coach Fewing has done TV and now radio broadcasts for the Sounders, broadcasting during pregame or halftime. Coach Fewing was calling the Dallas game for the Sounders on March 18, where he noted Roldan’s play being of the same confidence and tenacity he exhibited while playing at Seattle U.

“From about center circle he tried to chip the goalie because he was off the line…I’ve seen him do that before, and the fact he tried to do that in major league game…it takes guts,” Coach Fewing said.

On Sunday, the Sounders got their first win of the 2018 MLS Season at home, beating Minnesota United 3-1 with some early goals in the first half. Roldan started again for that game, attempting a shot that nearly missed, and playing a solid 60 minutes. A stellar cross from Christian Roldan set up the second goal for the team. The Sounders first two goals were scored about two minutes apart by Gustav Svensson and Will Bruin in the 23rd and 25th minutes.

The last time the two Roldan brothers started a match together, they were playing for El Rancho High School in Pico Rivera, California. The brothers are the seventh pair of siblings to start an MLS match together, joining the Hendersons, Farfans, Beasleys, Wright-Phillips brothers, Villarreals, and dos Santoses.

“[Alex] is level headed and he’s fitting in beautifully. He’s got his brother out their on the field with him…I think he’ll go far,” Coach Fewing said. With only a few games in so far, the Sounders are 1-2-1 with most of their season still to come.

Jacqueline may be reached at