Mariners almost get the Home Sweep against Oakland

This past weekend, the Seattle Mariners played against the Oakland A’s for a three-game series at Safeco Field. With an energetic Seattle crowd, the Mariners have the right recipe to hopefully end their 16-year playoff drought.

The Mariners started their series off on Friday night where the home team hosted college night. Various college students and college alumni gathered to Safeco field to cheer on their home team. The Mariners came out in full swing taking the win 7-4 against the A’s. The Mariners battled the first six innings of the game where both the Mariners and the A’s were tied at 2-2.

The A’s took the lead in the sixth inning, adding a run to their score. However, the Mariners didn’t falter for too long as they pulled together to take the lead, adding an additional five runs in the seventh inning. Leading the way for the Mariners was right fielder Mitch Haniger. Haniger hit a three-run homer in the seventh inning of the game and was an integral part of the Mariners’ victory. First baseman Daniel Vogelbach also produced a two-run score with his hit in the bottom of the seventh inning.

The Mariners’ weekend series was back in action on Saturday. Seattle barely squeezed past the A’s claiming a close 10-8 victory. Both teams fought back and forth with one another throughout the innings. The Mariners had home runs from four different players: Kyle Seager, Jean Segura, Haniger and Vogelbach. These homeruns would help push the Mariners to another victory for their fourth straight win.

The Mariners closed out their home series against the A’s on Sunday afternoon. Pitcher Felix Hernandez also known as “King Felix” to many Mariners fans, made his way back into the starting lineup. However, the energy of the Seattle crowd, wasn’t enough as the A’s prevented a weekend sweep, defeating the Mariners 2-1, ending the Mariners’ winning streak. Short stop Tyler Motter was the only scorer in the game, with the solo home run in the fifth inning.

The Mariners finished the weekend off with an overall record of 8-5. The Mariners are currently sitting at third place in the American West standing right behind the Los Angeles Angels and the Houston Astros. The Mariners are back at Safeco field this week where they will take on defending World Series Champions the Houston Astros for hopefully another successful week on their home turf.

Caylah may be reached at