Seattle U Women’s Tennis Concludes Regular Season

The Seattle University Women’s Tennis team had a busy weekend at Amy Yee tennis courts in Seattle as the team took on New Mexico State, Chicago State and Grand Canyon University (GCU).

The Redhawks kicked off their long three-day weekend of matches against New Mexico state this past Friday. The Redhawks captured a 6-1 victory and earned their first conference win of the season. Doubles pair, senior Michelle Lui and redshirt-senior Kelli Woodman, earned a 6-4 victory.

Following their lead was doubles duo of first-year Hannah Gianan and first-year Kyra Jung who also took a victory with a 6-3 win. In the singles competition, Lui won 6-3 and 6-4. Gianan won 6-4 and 6-2. Jung won 7-5 and 6-3. Woodman won her matches 7-6 and 10-3. Junior Lily-Ana Kreutzer won 6-1 and 6-3.

Gianan seemed pleased with her team’s overall performance.

“I think we did really well this weekend, considering we weren’t expected to win any of these matches. We showed them that we do know how to come out here and play hard and play strong,” Gianan said.

The Redhawks unfortunately dropped their matches to Chicago State with a close 3-4 loss. Winning singles matches consisted of Lui with a dominant 6-1 and 6-1 win. Gianan won 7-5 and 6-3. Jung added another victory by winning 6-1 and 6-3.

This past Sunday, the Redhawks concluded their regular season against GCU. The Redhawks barely dropped their Senior Day match 4-3. Doubles Gianan and Jung dominated their match 6-2. Another doubles team consisting of sophomore Kali McCollister and Kreutzer also won their match 6-4. Singles competitor Gianan won again—winning 6-2 and 6-2. McCollister tallied another win, winning 6-3 and 7-6.

Senior Audrey Scott expressed her thoughts on the GCU game, noting that the team gave their all.

“Overall, it was a tough school. We came into this thinking they were the toughest teams in our conference. Everyone gave their 100 percent effort and it just came down to a couple of points,” Scott said.

Head Coach Adam Reeb was satisfied with the team’s overall performance this past weekend.

“I think we did really well this weekend. Friday, we beat New Mexico State for the first time ever, we played our best match of the year and that was really fun to see everything come together. We played really well, we fought really hard and put ourselves in positions to win. It didn’t quite go our way, but I’m just really proud of the team,” Coach Reeb said.

Caylah may be reached at