Time Out Session: Shae Harris

SAMIRA SHOBEIRI • THE SPECTATOR

Shae Harris recently earned Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Volleyball player of the week honors for the week of Oct. 16-22. The junior setter is from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Harris recently had a strong performance against Utah Valley University on Oct. 22. Harris matched her Seattle University program record as she tallied 62 assists. This is the second time that Harris has accomplished this, in just this season.

The junior added more than just assists to the exciting five set game against Utah Valley – she produced eight kills on 11 attempts. Harris had zero errors, which gave her an attacking percentage of .727. Harris is also a member of the Canadian National team, as she participated on the volleyball team over the summer, training with them twice a day.

SAMIRA SHOBEIRI • THE SPECTATOR
SAMIRA SHOBEIRI • THE SPECTATOR

Shae Harris currently has the Seattle University Volleyball record in assists.

Q: How would you describe your season thus far? With only six games remaining in the season before WAC Championships, are you guys going to be in a good position for the tournament?

SH: I think the first half we had our ups and down with our record and consistency on the court. I feel like it will be important for the second half of conference to have a good consistency. I think we’re in a good position, but the second half is always important. Confidence is something that will be good to have when finishing our season.

Q: What inspired you to play Volleyball?

SH: I played a lot of sports growing up. A big inspiration when I was growing up was my mom because she also played volleyball. I remember always being in the gym with her because she was also a volleyball coach. Another thing that inspired me to play was watching all the girls that my mom coached. I would always go to practice with her and loved to watch the older girls.

Q: How do you juggle majoring in conservation-biology and being an athlete?

SH: It’s tricky, you have to plan out your course load carefully. I love the field of study that I chose, the field itself is what made me keep going. We have a lot of help from our advisors and from our coaches . . . Also, us teammates help each other out a lot, mainly between the science majors. We always get together and discuss topics that we may be confused with.

Q: How does this season differ from your previous seasons here at Seattle University?

SH: This year, there is a strong connection. We play for each other this season. We enjoy playing more, and there is stronger team cohesion. The culture in general has improved. We also work better through adversity, as we’ve had struggles with injuries and illnesses, but this year we believe in each other more. We trust each other.

Q: How was it hearing that you got WAC Volleyball Player of the Week honors?

SH: It was nice! I find it hard receiving an individual award for a team sport, because I wouldn’t have gotten this if it wasn’t for my team. At the end of the day, it’s the hitters that give me the opportunity. Without my teammates and coaches, I wouldn’t have gotten this award. Hard work can pay off, that’s a nice feeling.

Q: Being on the Canadian National Team, do you see yourself continuing your volleyball career at the professional level?

SH: Part of me would like to experience the international level, but I think right now I’m looking to enjoy my four years here. I want to see where life in general takes me. I don’t want to make definite plans because other opportunities can arise. I’m definitely leaving all of my doors open.

Q: When you’re not in class, studying, on the court practicing, or even in the weight room lifting, what do you like to do in the little spare time that you have?

SH: I like to be outside and in nature. I love adventuring around and trying new outdoor sports.

Q: What are some of your goals after your time here at Seattle U?

SH: As far as school, I want to continue my education. I see myself traveling all over the world. My main goal is to see as much of the world as I can. I’m a travel junkie and love to experience new things.

Q: What is your favorite memory so far at Seattle U?

SH: The two 5 set thrillers that we had against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and Utah. Those were my favorite memories of volleyball. It really showed how far we have come as a team. We just had fun playing in those games! We accomplished a lot as a team because we hadn’t beat Utah at home in six seasons, and UTRGV won WAC last year.

Caylah may be reached at