Best Sports Moments of the Year

PHOTO+VIA+SEATTLE+U+ATHLETICS+
PHOTO VIA SEATTLE U ATHLETICS

Men’s Golf has a Season for the Ages

PHOTO VIA SEATTLE U ATHLETICS
PHOTO VIA SEATTLE U ATHLETICS

Zack Overstreet was a member of a historic Seattle U Men’s Golf Team.

The Seattle University Men’s golf team enjoyed a season that saw some of the best performances in program history. After an off and on start to the season, the team found its footing as the season ended, placing in the top three in each of their last three tournaments, including back-to-back first place team finishes in the final two. The team won its first ever WAC Tournament Championship, which earned them a bid in the NCAA Regional, their first trip to the NCAA Tournament in over 50 years. Despite finishing 12th-14th in the regional, they still put together one of the best seasons in program history, finishing the year by taking home awards for WAC Coach of the Year and WAC Freshman of the Year, by Marc Chandonett and Zack Overstreet, respectively.

Cubbies Win!

The 2016 Chicago Cubs ended a century of pain by taking home the cubs first World Series title since 1902. They led the MLB with 103 wins on the year, dominating the rest of the league from beginning to end. They boasted the National League MVP in star third-baseman Kris Bryant, with a team of hitters behind him. They had a perfectly crafted pitching staff with three elite starters, a reliable bullpen, and Aroldis Chapman closing games. They played in one of the more exciting World Series in memory, besting the Cleveland Indians in seven games to take home the trophy.

Mandie Maddux Secures Two WAC Titles

Mandie Maddux ended her collegiate track career with four WAC titles and a collection of school records. Maddux began the 2016-2017 track season with a record breaking performance at indoor conference. She secured first place in the pentathlon, protecting her title from the previous year. Maddux would then go on to finish her track career in Edinburg, Texas at outdoor conference. Not only did she claim another gold in the heptathlon, she broke school records for the heptathlon, shot put, javelin and 100m hurdles. The last meet of the year was a stand out performance this year in athletics, as she nearly finished with all personal records.

Seattle Sounders Beat Toronto FC in Penalty Shootout to Win MLS Cup

The Seattle Sounders won the MLS cup for the first time in franchise history, beating Toronto in a penalty shoot out in order to do so. A scoreless game with few shots from the Sounders ended in a 5-4 shootout. With an unstoppable defensive line and some key saves from goalkeeper Stefan Frei, the Sounders were able to hold Toronto at bay. Frei would go on to save one of the shots in the shootout, allowing the Seattle Sounders a much anticipated victory. He was deservedly named the MLS Cup MVP. It was an impressive year for the Sounders, improving from the number nine seed to the number four seed in the Western Conference.