Baseball Swept in Minesota

RICK MAY • THE SPECTATOR

The Seattle University baseball team spent this past weekend in Minneapolis, Min. playing a three game series against the Minnesota Gophers. They played in U.S. Bank Stadium, the brand new home of the Minnesota Vikings.

RICK MAY • THE SPECTATOR
RICK MAY • THE SPECTATOR

Dalton Hurd takes a swing.

The Redhawks (2-5) were not able to break through in the away series, dropping all three games to the Gophers (4-1). The Gophers, the reigning Big 10 Champions were sure to be a challenge for Seattle U, but the team was confident in its abilities to pull out some wins.

The Gophers outscored the Redhawks 30-14 over the course of the series. Seattle U’s pitching staff, which was thought the be the strong point of the team, could not stop their opponents bats.

Minnesota took game one of the series by a score of 13-4. Seattle U had a promising start to the game, taking a 3-0 lead into the fifth inning. But, they would let up 13 runs in the final four frames of the game to allow the comeback victory, with junior Janson Junk picking up the loss. The Gopher’s Toby Hanson led the way with three hits and three runs-batted- in. Sophomore Jeffrey Morgan led the way for the Redhawks with two runs-batted-in.

The second game of the series was a closer affair, but the Redhawks offense never got going in a 6-3 loss, managing only three hits. Minnesota wasn’t going to let themselves fall behind in this game, scoring three runs in the second inning and never looking back. Redhawks starter Nick Meservey surrendered four runs, but settled down after the second inning to pitch six quality innings. Sophomore Kyler Murphy hit a homerun in the third inning, but it wasn’t enough as the Gophers continued to tag the Redhawks pitching staff.

In game three of the series, Seattle U’s offense showed up to play, but the pitching staff still couldn’t get their act together in an 11-7 loss. Junior Curtis Perrin led the way with three hits, and juniors Jack Reisinger and Dalton Hurd, sophomore Jeffrey Morgan, and senior Griffin Andreychuk each had two hits.

Morgan hit a two run shot in the second inning to put the Redhawks on top to start the game. The Gophers came right back with four runs in the next frame, answering the Redhawks scoring as they had all series. After going down 7-4, the Redhawks showed they could come back as well, scoring three more runs to tie up the game at seven. Unfortunately, that was all the scoring Seattle U had in them and they let up four more runs to lose the game.

The Redhawks start a 13-game homestand this coming weekend.