Baseball Sets Single Season Wins Record

Kyle Kotani
    Kyle Kotani • the spectator

The Seattle University baseball team kept rolling this weekend as they earned the series sweep, a fourth straight win and set a new school record for wins.

Kyle Kotani • the spectator
    Kyle Kotani • the spectator

Catcher Kyler Murphy throws to first for an out against Northern Colorado University

That last win was the most important as the Redhawks (33-18, 19-5 WAC) coach Donny Harel stated that getting 32 wins, one ahead of the record they set last year, was a goal from the beginning of the season.

“Beating the school record that was set last year is a great honor for this senior class. Last year’s mark of 31 wins bypassed a long time record for wins in a season set in 1954 with 29 wins,” Harrel said. “That was a big accomplishment for the 2015 team. This year with us already being at 33 wins marks another great chapter toward our growth as an organization. I am very proud of what this group has done and what still lies ahead.”

While it was a fun weekend for the team—they set the record and honoring their seniors on senior night—they still have not clinched the top seed, with three games remaining in the season.

They are looking to win two out of the last three in order to stave off New Mexico State from taking the top spot.

The Redhawks dominated Northern Colorado over the weekend series outscoring them 22-6.
    In the first game, a 10-3 win, they tallied 16 hits and were in control the whole time. Senior Ted Hammond had a strong night on the mound going 5.2 innings while striking out four and giving up one run. Junior Brock Carpenter, who has been one of the best hitters all season, went a perfect 4-for-4 on the night, knocking in three runs. He was one of five Redhawks with a multi-hit game that night as the offense rolled.

In the second game of the series, the Redhawks went up 4-0 before getting a little scare in the seventh, but eventually won 4-2. Sophomore Nick Meservey struck out seven over six innings of work to pick up the win, while freshman Zach Wolf worked the ninth for his 10th save of the season. Senior Sheldon Stober and sophomore Sean Sutton started off the scoring in the second with back to back RBI singles. Freshman Kyler Murphy later singled in a run that would prove to be enough for the win.

In the series finale, the Redhawks once again dominated the Bears after paying tribute to their seniors. All four seniors saw action in the final home game. Stober got the start at second, Grant Gunning pitched the eighth and Hammond pinch hit, earning him his first college plate appearance. Redshirt junior Cash Mcguire also earned a ceremonial plate appearance the first time through the line up.

Kyle Kotani • the spectator
    Kyle Kotani • the spectator

Griffin Andreychuk hits a single for a Kyler Murphy RBI

Sophomore Janson Junk tied a school record with 13 strikeouts on the day, while sophomore Dalton Hurd led the way at the plate with three hits.

The win ensured the Redhawks a top two seed, but they aren’t going to be satisfied with number two.

With the way they are hitting and pitching, coach Harrel appears to have his team poised for a long, successful, postseason run. They hope it can end in a WAC Championship appearance where their season ended last year to NMS. This year they have the pieces to exact their revenge.
    “Looking ahead we are excited about returning to the tourney and know that it gives us another chance to win that thing and have a chance to play in a regional, which has been a long term goal for our program since we were reinstated,” said coach Harrel.

But for now, they turn their attention to Sacramento State where they will play for the regular season title.

Willy may be reached at [email protected]