Softball Set To Host WAC Tournament

Seattle University is set to host the Western Atlantic Conference (WAC) Softball Tournament this coming weekend.

The games will start on Thursday, May 12 and finish on Saturday, May 14. All of the games will be played at Logan Field.

Despite matching last season’s win total, the Redhawks (17-31, 3-12 WAC) have been left at the bottom of the conference, tied for last place in conference games with Utah Valley.

They will be looking to make a Cinderella run at the No. 4 seed against No. 5 seed Utah Valley at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 12.

The Redhawks are coming off of a series win against Utah Valley in which Seattle U outscored them 18-14. They will need to continue this success to have an extended stay in the WAC tournament.

The Redhawks will need to be wary of the power coming from the bats of the Wolverines. Junior Brittney Vansway and Senior Tiani Hensley have seven and six home runs on the season, respectively. It will be up to the Seattle U pitching to hold these big bats in check.

Starters Andie Larkins (10-14) and Alyssa Reuble (6-11) will need to be at their best over the weekend for the Redhawks to have a chance. They have both had strong stretches over the course of the season but will need to deliver dominant performances to ensure that their team stays alive.

On the offensive end they will need strong efforts from junior Paige Bouska and senior Isabella Geronimo, who lead the team in hits and RBIs, respectively. Geronimo will have some extra incentive this weekend as it will be her last time in a Redhawk uniform.

At the top of the conference stands New Mexico State. They won the tournament last year and enter the 2016 tournament having lost only one game in conference play. They are clearly the favorites.

It has been a difficult season for the Redhawks but the conference tournament provides the team with a new season.

“Now we start with a clean slate and get ready for the WAC tournament here at home,” said Head Coach Geoff Hirai.

While they will have a low seed in the tournament, anything can happen in the postseason.

But for the Redhawks, they are taking it one game at a time. They don’t want to overthink it. Rather, just try and improve on their personal goals for the season.

Playing as the underdog can have its advantages. There is less pressure on yourself and more on the other team. It could prove useful to the Redhawks in the tournament.

This tournament provides a chance for the seniors to go out swinging. With just two seniors on the squad, this team won’t look too different come next season, but they want to leave their mark at Seattle U. Look for Geronimo and senior infielder Rose Saenz to try and make an impact in the tournament.

Whatever happens, Coach Hirai has done what he can to push his team all season and get them ready for this moment, and they are ready to show up and “go for it.”

Willy may be reached at [email protected]