Joan Bonvicini Steps Down After Seven Seasons

PHOTO COURTESY OF MOLLIE HANKE.

After seven seasons at Seattle University, women’s basketball head coach Joan Bonvicini has resigned, the school announced Tuesday.

PHOTO COURTESY OF MOLLIE HANKE.
    PHOTO COURTESY OF MOLLIE HANKE.

Joan Bonvicini, head coach of Seattle University’s Women’s Basketball team.

“I am leaving my position at Seattle University as head basketball coach,” said Bonvicini. “I want to thank the entire Seattle University community for the opportunity to represent this special institution. I wish Seattle U the best of luck and will treasure the many friendships that I have made here. I plan to continue to invest in the lives of young people and to participate in the game I love.”

Bonvicini is the 17th division I head coach to reach 700 wins, and is 27th on the all time wins list. She leaves with a record of 701-421, and led Seattle U women’s basketball to a WAC regular season title in 2013, the first since the university rejoined Division I.

Hired to help shepard the women’s team as they re-joined division I, Bonvicini has a career record of 103- 112 during her tenure at Seattle U, and is coming off of back-to-back 21 loss seasons. The team has not posted a winning record since their appearance in the WAC tournament championship game in 2013.

“We are grateful for all Joan has done in transitioning our women’s basketball program back to NCAA Division I and leading us to the Western Athletic Conference championship in 2013,” said athletics director, Bill Hogan. “Coach Bonvicini brought great energy and passion to our women’s basketball program and her leadership is deeply appreciated.”

Kristen O’Neill Phillips will serve as interim head coach while an immediate national search for a new head coach takes place.

AJ may be reached at [email protected]