Baseball on a Roll, Wins 3-of-4

Another weekend, another series win to start the season for Seattle University.

The Redhawks took three out of four games against Oakland to improve their record to 8-4 on the season. Their winning streak stopped at seven games as Oakland won 5-4 in the second game of a Saturday double header.

The offense came alive in the first and last games of the series for the Redhawks as they combined to score 17 runs.

The first game on Friday was a 10-1 win as Ted Hammon picked up the win with a six inning three hit performance that included five strikeouts. He gave up one unearned run.

Hammond received help on the offensive end as the team totaled 14 hits including 3-hit games from Dalton Hurd and Michael McCann who are one and two in the lineup respectively. Hurd had a good series totaling seven hits and five runs batted in.

“Our bats really came alive tonight and it all started with Dalton’s double to lead off the game. We really controlled the strike zone and it was contagious. Ted did not have his best stuff, but it was good enough to win, and that is what good teams do,” said head coach Donny Harrel.

The first game on Saturday featured Tarik Skubal on the mound. Expectations have been high for the sophomore after posting 23 strikeouts in the last two games. He struggled with his control more than he has been and allowed five walks while striking out four. He still gave up just three hits and zero runs to get the win.

The Redhawks relied on their strong 1-2 punch of Hammond and Skubal to get them through the first two games and they delivered allowing just one run between the two. But, they would find their offense early in the next game.

Seattle U starter Janson Junk allowed five earned runs, including three in the first inning. They had plenty of opportunities to tie the game but fell short. After Sean Sutton knocked in two runs in the bottom of the fifth with a double, three straight Redhawks failed to drive him in as the tying run. The Redhawks were knocking at the door again in the bottom of the seventh as they loaded the bases with no outs, down 5-2. Unfortunately Oakland reliever Collin Gee got out of the jam only allowing one run. Hurd hit a homerun in the eighth to cut the lead to one. In the ninth inning the Redhawks once again had an opportunity with a runner on third and one out, but back to back outs ended the comeback attempt.

Their offense would get back on track in the series finale as they scored seven runs on ten hits. Starter Nick Meservey struck out nine and walked six while giving up just three hits and one earned run in five innings of work. Rain was a factor in the game causing a short delay in the first inning.

“Nick pitched in tough conditions today, but it was good for him to battle through that situation. It was good for us to score early. I thought our offense stayed consistent throughout the weekend and our bullpen was really good in the series,” Harrel said.
    The Redhawks hit the road to play a game against the Portland Pilots on Tuesday, March 8, before returning home for a series against the Minnesota Golden Gophers.