Softball Returns to the Diamond

Seattle University softball suffered losses against both the University of California Riverside and Stanford University over the weekend, falling to 1-4 on the season.

The weekend started strong, with Seattle U beating Bradley University by a score of 9-0, thanks in large part to a 6-run second inning. Unfortunately, the rest of the weekend was not so bright, as Seattle U dropped its next four games.

“This weekend we had some ups and downs,” said head coach Geoff Hirai. “We just need to keep getting better and be about our culture. We will work hard this week and fix the little things and be ready for our trip to Santa Clara next weekend.”

In the opening matchup against UC Riverside, Seattle U opened up the scoring in the bottom half of the first after an Isabella Geronimo double to left center scored Paige Bouska, who reached base on a leadoff triple.

The Highlanders responded with three runs of their own thanks to a three run dinger off the bat of Stephanie Tickemyer. They would add one more in the third, when Natalie Sanchez singled to left field and scored Madeline Richard.

While the Redhawks outhit the Highlanders, they failed to capitalize on opportunities and wound up stranding ten runners on base, including a pair in scoring position in the third.

Andie Larkins took the loss for the Hawks, giving up four runs on four hits while walking seven and striking out three through a complete seven innings. Tayler Misfeldt picked up the win, allowing just one run on seven hits while walking three and striking out four through seven.

Seattle U fared even worse against Stanford. Again, the team jumped ahead early, scoring a pair of runs in the opening two innings thanks to a sack fly from Molly Campbell in the first and a solo shot from Sara Dominguez in the second.

Momentum would shift in the third, when a hot hitting Cardinal team exploded for eight runs off of starter Alyssa Reuble. Stanford sent three singles through the infield to score their first run, before the Redhawks stopped a fourth from scoring with a play at the plate. Victoria Molina drove home two more on a triple to right field following the play. Eight hits and eight runs later, Reuble would hand the ball to reliever Lindsay Davis, ending her day after just 2.2 innings of work.

Sloppy play was a factor in the Redhawk loss, given that only three of the eight Cardinal runs were earned. A pair of errors in the field certainly contributed to the large run margin at the end of the game.

Reuble would take the loss for the Redhawks, allowing eight runs (only three of them earned) on nine hits and striking out two, while Haley Snyder picked up the win for Stanford striking out four over seven innings of work.

Seattle U will look to turn things around as they head into Santa Clara for the Bronco Classic to face Idaho State, CSU Fullerton and Santa Clara.

Will may be reached at [email protected]