Exposing Solo

In recent weeks the NFL has seen its fair share of domestic violence cases. The news has seen its fair share of the NFL. And no one has seen anything regarding Seattle soccer superstar Hope Solo. Take a gander at the following situations. Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens running back, was arrested in March for the assault of his then-fiancee. The NFL suspended him indefinitely in September. Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers defensive end was convicted of two nebulous accounts of domestic assault and placed on the NFL exempt list­—prohibiting him from any play in the near future.

Adrian Peterson and Jonathan Dwyer, both prominent NFL running backs, have been accused of multiple domestic violence accounts. Neither of their teams will be asking them to return, regardless of the final sentencing. Hope Solo, American goalkeeper and two-time gold medalist, was arrested on two accounts of domestic assault, yet she continues to play. As the Ray Rice drama exploded on sports and news networks alike, an exceptionally large, warranted amount of blame and scorn was put upon both the player and the NFL commissioner, who fell victim to a public outcry after his laughable initial reaction to the Rice incident. Therein lies the issue at hand. Although the punishments for these atrocious crimes have been rightly doled out, it is a glaring problem that Solo skates by with no obstacles in the way of her 2015 World Cup dreams. Who would squander a pretty girl’s goals, while all these male football monsters are roaming the streets?

Giving Solo free reign to play in the midst of domestic abuse charges is a double standard that both the media and the National Women’s Soccer League should take a good look at.