The Mouthful: November Recipe Roundup

The most common complaint I’ve heard from those who don’t cook is that they don’t have the energy to look for recipes. That’s why I’ve done the work for you by finding six easy recipes around the web that use seasonal ingredients and are endlessly adaptable.

Cranberry Coffee Cake Muffins from My Kitchen Addiction
    My Kitchen Addiction
    My Kitchen Addiction

Cranberries are tart perfection this time of year, just begging to be added to every baked good in sight. I posit that coffee cake is the perfect way to put more cranberries in your mouth this month. First of all, we need more coffee cake in this world in general. Secondly, rainy November weekends are made for curling up with muffins and coffee. Thirdly, sweet and spicy crumbles of streusel combined with juicy, slightly sour cranberries? Forget about it.

Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts in Brown Butter from Smitten Kitchen
    Smitten Kitchen
    Smitten Kitchen

Brussels sprouts are so tragically misunderstood. This recipe gives them some much-needed lovin’, pairing them with a rich brown butter sauce, gently caramelized shallots, and earthy roasted chestnuts. Bonus points for flexibility: this brown butter sauce would be great on any number of veggies.

Candied Pecans from Taste of Home
    Smitten Kitchen
    Taste of Home

Showing up to a Thanksgiving bash with a bag of candied pecans would earn you serious points with the family, though you’d have to deal with the moral quandary of providing your loved ones with what is essentially legal crack.

Turkey Sandwiches with Apple and Walnut Mayo from Real Simple
    Real Simple
    Real Simple

When you’re in college, you tend to make it out like a bandit in the way of Thanksgiving leftovers (assuming everyone else’s families are also fixated on fattening them up). But if you’re anything like me, the turkey-cranberry sauce-white bread combo gets boring pretty fast. This sandwich gives leftover turkey the respect it deserves, pairing it with crisp green apples and an herbed walnut-dijon mayonnaise that’s surprisingly simple.

Apple Cider, Cranberry, and Ginger Punch from Martha Stewart
    Martha Stewart
    Martha Stewart

What do you get when you mix sugared cranberries, apple cider and ginger ale? A pretty freaking awesome holiday punch, that’s what. This one got my mouth watering.

Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake from Gourmet
    Gourmet
    Gourmet

Okay, this doesn’t exactly fulfill the whole “easy” or “adaptable” parts of the Recipe Roundup mission. But come on… bourbon pumpkin cheesecake. You should be halfway to the store for the ingredients by the end of this sentence. If you’re not up to the challenge, just email your parents this recipe with the subject line “Thanksgiving dessert idea?” They’ll get the message.