Seattle U Athletics Fall Season Check Up

Volleyball

Despite being swept by both Bakersfield and Utah Valley last weekend on the road, Seattle U’s volleyball season has been far from unsuccessful. This weekend will conclude the season at home as they play Texas-Pan American on Thursday and New Mexico State on Saturday, which will also serve as senior night. The Redhawks enter these games determined for a win, as they are just one away from nabbing a spot in the WAC tournament. Additionally, Seattle U is in the running for just one of the two top seeds that determine who will have a definite place in the WAC tournament semifinals. Their current record is 10-16.

Womens’ Soccer

Women’s soccer has just been given the WAC regular season title with an impressive 10-0 record in the WAC to back them up. Seattle U soccer is currently experiencing an 11-game winning streak. In that streak, the Redhawks have only given up three three goals in an entire month, meaning Seattle U has scored 25 consecutive goals without retaliation. The Redhawks will be playing their final home game on Friday at 3 p.m. where they will honor this year’s senior class as they take on Idaho. Seattle U will compete for the WAC tournament title Sunday, so that they might earn an automatic entry to the
NCAA tournament.

Mens’ Soccer

The men’s soccer team has also had incredible success among their WAC competitors as they are 4-0 in not just the west region of the conference, but all of the WAC standings. The Redhawks earned this title defeating both University of Las Vegas and Bakersfield last week. Other impressive season highlights include the success of Jake Feener who leads NCAA Divison I in saves, and Miguel Gonzalez, who also leads the nation in goals. The Redhawks will celebrate senior night and their final home game on Nov. 9 against San Jose State.

Cross Country

Despite the number of injured runners and redshirts, Seattle U men’s cross country is having a relatively successful building season. The Redhawks celebrated defeating Portland State in their home meet earlier in the month. Also beating Portland State, the womenare proving to have a strong and successful year. The women will go into the WAC championship race on Saturday with high hopes. Saturday will mark the first time in Seattle U history that the university has hosted a WAC championship event

Tennis

Women’s tennis finished their fall season at the Washington State University Invitational in Pullman, Washington. The final matches proved disappointing with multiple wins coming from Washington State. However, the Redhawks will continue their season in spring, and gear up for the first match of the year in January. The men completed their season at the Dar Walters Invitational hosted by Boise state. The men were almost all successful in qualifying for their respective quarter finals, while sophomore Ian Clare won his consolation bracket. Seattle U men will also begin their spring season in January.

Golf

The Seattle U women’s golf team concluded the fall portion of their season on a high note this month. The Redhawks will bring momentum from this tournament and compete in five more during the spring season, which will all lead up to the WAC Championships in April. At the Firestone Grill Cal Poly Invitational, sophomore Juhee Lee led the team to a second place finish. This, in addition to the other tournaments Seattle U competed, in bodes well for the upcoming season. The men’s final tournament, was not as indicative of their season. The Redhawks finished 14th place in the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Invitational. On a more positive note, however, the men’s team will play seven tournaments in the spring, including their own Redhawk Invitional at Chambers Bay Golf Club in early April.

Emily may be reached at [email protected].