After the Show: Melanie Martinez

The lights go black and instrumentals start to be heard throughout the arena. Dancers came in through either side of the stage each wearing a large rabbit head, and then one rose through the floor onto the stage. 

At first, it seemed the crowd thought that was Melanie Martinez, but instead, she rose behind the dancers onto a podium that towers above the stage. It was equal parts whimsical and eery. 

The costumes, the set, the props and the choreography all contributed greatly to the stories that are told in the lyrics of her songs. Tales of childhood trauma, school experiences/coming-of-age stories and her perspectives on death and what it means to be alive. 

The show was split into three acts each centered around her three albums: Cry Baby, K-12 and PORTALS. The three all tie together to tell the greater story of a character she has created and that character’s journey through existence. The thought and planning that went into planning this nine years’ worth of work is phenomenal and the culmination of it all in the Trilogy Tour is a stunning outcome. 

If someone has ever thought of getting into and listening to Martinez’s music, the way to do it is live (if you can get your hands on a ticket). Seeing the live performance is the only way to get the full picture.

A large portion of the audience dressed up for the occasion, matching the singer’s aesthetic. Pinks and pastels, lace and bows. Some even took the time to dress themselves as nymphs pulling directly from the aesthetics of PORTALS. Attendees were on the edge of their seats brimming with excitement, no one was there by accident especially given that the show sold out before going public. 

Given the chance or opportunity, I would recommend one of Martinez’s shows to any lover of music, spectacle or storytelling. 

View Comments (9)