After the Show: Alice Phoebe Lou

Sean Alexander
Sean Alexander

She walked out on stage, tuned her guitar, and removed her shoes. Alice Phoebe Lou was ready to put on a show. I was honestly surprised that I was able to hear what she was saying; given the sound coming from the crowd, they were ready. 

The South African artist opened with songs from her new album “Shelter,” showcasing her unique style; an acoustic forward sound blended with influences of funk and jazz. She performed solo for the first few songs, creating intimate energy between the stage and the audience. Lou’s voice took control of the room. The show’s overall feel was one of ease and comfortability fostering an overall chill atmosphere for all of those present.

Sean Alexander

After a few songs, the rest of her band waltzed onto stage—guitarist David Parry, on keys Ziv Yamin, on bass Daklis, and on drums Matt Roth. The energy between Lou and her band was exciting as they started playing songs from her album “Glow.” During these songs, screams from the crowd periodically filled the room with the occasional “We love you, Alice.” She played a good mix of her more haunting lyrical songs alongside her more jazzy songs.

About halfway through the show, an audience member presented Lou with a gift to showcase support for their favorite artist. She responded with kind words and gratitude. It is a trend for fans to bring gifts to Lou during her shows. 

Lou makes it clear during her shows that she plays the music that she wants to play which primarily consists of her new music. This is because of the desire to play music that aligns with her current lifestyle and the music she relates to. It is less likely for her to play older music at a show because it no longer carries the same significance for her. 

Overall, the performance was a captivating blend of soulful melodies and raw emotion. From intimate solo moments to vibrant performances with her band, each song showcases their love for music. A lasting impression was left on those who attended.