Redhawks Men’s Basketball Earns Riveting Homecoming Win

Peiran Liu
Peiran Liu

Seattle University Men’s Basketball’s Homecoming game against Montana State University Nov. 11 was an atmosphere unlike anything else. There were many things to see, from kids with balloon hats, flashing red cowboy hats in the student section, to Redzone members with painted basketballs on their heads. Student groups that were involved at the game included the dance team, Army ROTC and SU Hidaka Taiko. Homecoming Royalty was announced at the game, and service members were recognized as well in honor of Veteran’s Day.

Angelina Spitzauer, a fourth-year biology major, was on the Homecoming court for this year; she has attended many Homecoming games. 

“This is the hypest game of the year and it’s super big for the alumni as well,” Spitzauer said. Spitzauer, for the second straight year, painted her head and face to look like a basketball and is hoping to make it a tradition here at Seattle University.

Sophia Gessner, a first-year biochemistry major, was looking forward to the game and atmosphere. 

“I was so excited about Homecoming and the SU community, the cowboy hats given to us by the Redzone table added so much more fun to the day,” Gessner said. 

Peiran Liu

The game itself did not disappoint fans. It was a close contest throughout its duration, as the margin was within three points for the majority of the game. Montana State brought a fast-paced style of play and physical defense, and even with a big turn out of Seattle U alumni and fans, the road team seemed to bring equally as many fans to this matchup. They were vocal throughout the game, even doing their own chants—encouraged by Montana State head coach, Matt Logie. 

The teams appeared evenly matched, but found success in different ways. Montana State did damage from the perimeter, connecting on nine 3-pointers in the contest. Seattle U, billed as a team with potential to shoot lights-out from range, shot just 10% on their 3-pointers. Instead, the Redhawks attacked the rim and shot 66% on their 2-point attempts. They also shot 25 free throws on the day, compared to the 12 attempts drawn by the Bobcats.

Seattle U turned to their post players, like Junior guard Kobe Williamson and Redshirt Junior forward Brandton Chatfield. Montana State couldn’t match the size, which led to 29 combined points for Williamson and Chatfield that afternoon. From the backcourt, the Redhawks had some aggressive drives from Redshirt Senior guard Cameron Tyson (18 points) and Senior guard Alex Schumacher (15 points), who both shrugged off contact from the Bobcats’ defense. 

The game came down to the last 40 seconds, with Seattle U leading 69-68 and Montana State having possession. The whole crowd was standing and the atmosphere was intense. The Redhawks’ defense managed to contest a would-be game-winning layup with just two seconds on the clock, securing the rebound and the stop. The game ended with a 71-68 win for Seattle U. 

Chatfield could feel the intensity of the atmosphere in the gym in the last seconds of the game. 

“When I saw people standing up in the last two minutes, it was a great feeling. I love seeing that energy and the student section going crazy,” Chatfield said. 

Peiran Liu

Seattle U head coach Chris Victor believes that the Homecoming game is a special experience for his players.

“It’s awesome, we love playing in here when it’s full of energy from the students. It was great energy from our alumni and our fans being here. It was much appreciated that we had that atmosphere for today’s game,” Victor said.

Victor was proud of how his team played as well.

“It was a great game and the guys kept competing and playing hard and made some big plays happen under stress, letting us come out with the win,” Victor said.

The team’s defense struggled at times, but Victor also thought that their intensity and energy was there against Montana State. 

“Our defense was solid to start for most of the game and then at the end it kind of had some breakdowns, but overall was a good defensive day. Montana’s a good offensive team and we held them under 70 points, so I’m super proud,” Victor said.

Alumni, students and fans alike got an exciting fast-paced game that was fun to watch for Homecoming, and it all ended with a Redhawk win.