Women’s Week in Review

Womens Week in Review

Softball

The Redhawks made history this week as they earned their first-ever Western Athletic Conference (WAC) regular-season title.

Not only did the Redhawks take home the title, they also set a record for the most wins in a regular season since becoming a Division program at 36.

The Redhawks faced California Baptist University (CBU) with two games on Friday, dominating their opponent each time. CBU scored the first point of the day, though they were quickly overtaken by the Redhawks as Redshirt Sophomore Pitcher Carley Nance was able to keep the Lancers down for almost the entirety of the game.

First-year Centerfielder Olivia Viggiano had an incredible game, scoring four runs from the lead off spot for the Redhawks and going 3-3 with two RBIs.

The game went to the Redhawks by a final score of 10-2.

In the evening game, Sophomore Pitcher Shianne Smith shut down the Lancers bats, allowing the Redhawks offense to take over and handily defeat their opponents 9-0.

The Redhawks faced CBU again for their final game of the regular season and senior day on Saturday, beating their opponent for the third time this weekend with a score of 4-3. The game was won with a walk-off by Senior Emma Mitchel, an incredible feat she has achieved now for the second time. Seniors Emma Mitchell, Andie Larkins, Kaylee Ree, and Breanna Timmons were honored at the conclusion of the game.

With the regular season WAC title under their belt, the Redhawks will go into the WAC Tournament at Grand Canyon with the top seed—giving them a first-round bye in the tournament.

Track & Field

The Redhawks competed at the Ken Shannon Invitational at the University of Washington this Saturday.

Junior Michelle Newblom set the pace for the Redhawks by beating her own school record in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.34. Last year Newblom broke the 42-year old 100-meter hurdles record with a time of 14.78. However; this time was not officially recorded as there was a 4 mph wind.

The meet was overall a success, with several other impressive times as well. Sophomore Nicole Golba competed in the 400-meter hurdles, finishing with an impressive time of 1:07.09. Junior Laurel Mack-Wilson finished the 100-meter dash with a time of 13.00.

The Redhawks will compete in the WAC Outdoor Championships May 9.

Rowing

The Redhawks finished up their season this Saturday at the Windmere Cup on Lake Washington. They competed in the Collegiate Open 8+ division.

The relatively new team was in the lead for the first 500-meter though was eventually taken over by Seattle Pacific University. The Redhawks finished in second place with an official time of 7:10.854.

With this success, the team is looking forward to next year for a new season.

Kirsten may be reached at