Ask Mama Mozzone

Giving advice of any kind.

Q: I’m not sure how to do this in a drama-free way… I flirted myself into a situation I don’t want to be in. I flirted with this girl a lot thinking I liked her, but as I grew to know her I realized she wasn’t for me. The problem? She’s into me now. I don’t wanna ghost her. What’s the easiest way to cut her loose?

A: Drama relies on two people prolonging an issue. THe best way to end this? Let her know that you aren’t interested anymore. Give her a real reason why.

Alternatively, you can let her know you found someone else and are getting serious with them… it’s a lie, I assume, but it’s a non-personal way to get out of things like this. Most girls respect when people are straight with them and give them a real reason. I’d rather hear “I think you’re annoying and can’t picture a life with you” instead of “It’s not you, it’s me.” This only works if the girl has relatively high self esteem though. If she’s fragile, don’t point out her flaws so readily, be gentler. Good luck, and I hope you find someone for you!

Q: I’m a junior and I STILL haven’t found an internship. I have no job experience in my career (psychology). What do I do if I can’t find anything? How do you find an internship?

A: Psychology is a difficult subject for internships – in a field that requires a master’s or above for a lot of its jobs, it’s going to be difficult to find a job for an undergraduate student. I’d try getting an internship in related fields: you could argue for a marketing internship because you understand the psychology of consumers, you could argue for a research internship because I’m sure you’ve done research in your coursework. You may say “hey, I don’t know anything about marketing! How will I do that job?” But that’s the thing – internships are all about learning. You can tell them that you don’t have experience YET, but you’re excited to learn from the folks at X company, since you don’t get such of the subject in your coursework. No internship is going to make you do too complicated work, you’ll learn just fine on the job.

Ask Mama an anonymous question at
this page or at [email protected]