What About Thanksgiving?

What About Thanksgiving?

As everyone packs up Halloween decorations and throws their jack-o-lanterns in the trash, what’s next to look forward to? THANKSGIVING.

Many people immediately crank “Jingle-Bell-Rock” while drinking eggnog by the fireplace, the day after the spookiest holiday of the year has come to an end. Transitioning from murderous horror movies to hallmark channel romantic holiday movies should not be that easy.

Last week, I went to the theater to watch the new “Halloween” movie. The film was fantastic—it scared me enough to the point where, as I was walking through the parking lot to my car, I was looking in every direction to make sure that no one was following me. I was in the Halloween mood. A couple of days ago, I put on one of the new cheesy Christmas movies on Netflix and after 15 minutes I couldn’t continue watching. I had to turn it off. My Christmas spirit simply was not there yet.

Transitioning into a new holiday season is like a break-up. You spend so much time thinking about this holiday (as you would spending time with your significant other) for it to suddenly come and go. After this “break-up,” you need time to heal as you would with any other break-up before being able to pick yourself back up and move on.

Walking through the mall, garland and lights are already beginning to take over. Stores are beginning to play “All I want for Christmas” and it seems like retail workers have been wearing Christmas hats before Halloween had even arrived. When I was young, malls didn’t have decorations up until the day after Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving does not deserve to be forgotten. You eat an enormous amount of food multiple times a day without being judged, watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade in the morning while watching the NFL games during the day—and don’t forget the best part: you get to take food coma naps.

Before people start calling me the Seattle University Grinch, Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love cooking with my mom, spending time with my family, drinking eggnog by the fireplace while watching Christmas movies and watching snow fall outside. That feeling makes me feel happy and warm. However, I still am trying to get over the holiday blues with Halloween and I’m just not ready to move on yet.

Caylah Lunning, Staff Writer