Seattle Mariners Robinson Canó Suspended for 80 Games

The Seattle Mariners will have to survive the next several months without second baseman Robinson Canó who has been suspended for 80 games after testing positive for furosemide.

Furosemide is not a performance enhancing drug (PED) itself, rather it is a diuretic. Diuretics are used to increase the passing of urine and are classified by Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program under “Diuretics and Masking Agents.” Diuretics can be used to flush out the user’s system and conceal the use of PEDs.

Canó did not test positive for any PEDs, but as per MLB rules, unless Canó could convince an independent program administrator that the drugs were in fact taken for a legitimate purpose and not in fact to hide the use of PEDs the suspension would stand.

“I apologize to my family, friends, fans, teammates, and the Mariners organization,” Canó said in a personal statement posted on twitter.

Canó accepted the suspension and in the same statement stated that he received the furosemide for an unspecified medical ailment. He said he received the drug from a licensed doctor in the Dominican Republic— his home country. Canó continued, saying he had no knowledge that the drug was, in fact, a banned substance and denied ever taking a PED.

The Mariners had already expected Canó to be out for an extended period of time. Canó was struck in the right hand with a pitch in the Mariners Sunday loss to the Detroit Tigers. Canó broke his fifth metacarpal and will require surgery. Now with ample time to recover Canó is expected to be fully healthy and be able to return to play upon the completion of his suspension.

Canó was placed on the 10-day disabled list and in a corresponding move, the Mariners called up infielder Gordon Beckham to help fill the void left at second base in the wake of Canó’s injury.

With Canó now out for an even longer period, the Mariners have reevaluated their plan for second base during this stretch.

Dee Gordon, who the Mariners acquired over the offseason, has played second base for the majority of his career but was moved to center field by the Mariners at the beginning of the 2018 season.

While the Mariners want Gordon to continue to play and learn centerfield where they project he will continue to play in the future, Mariners General Manager, Jerry Dipoto, stated Gordon would see time at second base in wake of Canó’s suspension.

Gordon won a gold glove at second base in 2015. Gordon himself was suspended for 80 games of the 2016 season after failing a drug test.

Alec may be reached at