NBA Conference Finals Draw near as Playoff Action continues

The NBA Finals draw closer as another week of thrilling NBA playoff games wraps up.

It was an all too familiar feeling for the Toronto Raptors, as they were eliminated from the playoffs by the Cleveland Cavaliers via a sweep. Toronto was no match for LeBron James who found new and inventive ways to dismantle the Canadian team each game.

In game one, James recorded a triple-double and hit a jumper that sent the game to overtime, where Cleveland would claim victory. In an overwhelming offensive performance, James dropped 43 points in game two. He followed this up in game three with a 38-point night, capped off with a game-winning buzzer beater.

With 29 points, 11 assists and 8 rebounds, James had a quiet night by his standards, and Cleveland closed out the series in game four, winning 128-93. This will be Cleveland’s fourth straight conference finals.

The reigning NBA champion Golden State Warriors defeated the New Orleans Pelicans 4-1.

Golden State defeated New Orleans in game one, 123-101, without two-time MVP Stephen Curry. In game two, Curry made his 2018 playoffs debut. Returning from injury, he scored 28 points off the bench. Curry would join the starting lineup in game three, the lone game that New Orleans would win.

Golden State used their “Death Lineup” of Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Durant and Draymond Green in game four, to win 118-92.

Golden State closed out the series on Tuesday night, defeating New Orleans to advance to the Western Conference Finals.

The Houston Rockets won their series over the Utah Jazz 4-1.

Houston’s James Harden hit seven three-pointers in the series opener to ensure a Houston victory. Game two was a different story, Utah’s Joe Ingles hit seven threes of his own, tying the series at 1-1.

Houston dominated game three as they outscored Utah 113-92. The Rockets were again in complete control during game four—never allowing Utah to lead.

Houston would win game five 112-102 and advance to the Western Conference Finals where they will have home court advantage over Golden State.

The Philadelphia 76ers will have to fight to continue “the process” as they are down 1-3 in their series with the Boston Celtics.

Boston dominated game one, winning by 16 points. In game two, Philadelphia looked as if they had returned to form but blew a 22-point lead to Boston late in the game.

In game three, it appeared as though Philadelphia might swing the series back in their favor. They sent the game to overtime on a miraculous, game-tying buzzer beater, but Boston would prevail in overtime and take a 3-0 series lead.

Philadelphia will attempt to be the first NBA team to ever recover from being down 0-3 in a series after forcing a game five following their 103-92 win on Monday. Game five will take place Wednesday, May 9.

Alec may be reached at