Swimming sets Nine Records in WAC Championships

The Seattle University Swimming team wound down their season last weekend at the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championships, setting a handful of new school records. Senior Paige Treff broke the school record in the 100 freestyle with an impressive time of 50.74. Treff was a powerhouse at the championship meet in Houston, also setting new school records in the 50 freestyle and the 100 meter butterfly.

“It felt great to break these records,” Treff said. “I ended the meet feeling like I had accomplished pretty much everything I wanted to, which was great.”

Another record was broken in the 200 butterfly by first year Bryn Lasher. She ended up winning the “B” finals on Saturday with her new school record time of 2:03.94.

The men’s swimming team also accrued new records. They broke the records for both the 400 and 800 freestyle relay. The 400 relay was composed of two first years, a sophomore and a junior—all of whom will be returning for next year’s season.

Jack Baldoni broke the school record in the 100 butterfly, which he previously held. Baldoni swam a speedy time of 47.39. Morgan Montemayor also topped his own school record, with a 48.75 in the 100 backstroke.

Both the men’s and women’s teams finished the season off with solid performances and new records, but numbers in the books aren’t the only good thing to come out of the year. Friendships between members of the team have blossomed over the seasons they spent together, and they are all very supportive of one another.

“My teammates have been my support system, roommates and best friends in my four years here, and I absolutely would not have been able to do what I have without them,” Treff said. “They’re the best. My favorite part of swimming has been the team and friendships that have come along with being a swimmer.”

Head Coach Nisgor is proud of everyone’s efforts over the season. “I think we had a really successful season. It worked out well and we had some big things happen this year, especially when the women beat Oregon State for the first time in school history,” he said.

The women’s team ended up getting sixth place on Wednesday and seventh on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. e men’s team placed sixth all four days. Although the teams did not place high in the championships overall, they broke a slew of individual and team bests and showed spirit at their last meet of the year. e year went swimmingly, and Coach Nisgor is looking forward to next season.

“It’s going to be hard to replace the seniors that we are losing, but the thing we are looking forward to next season is to just keep on getting better.”

Bailee may be reached at