Nick Foles leads Eagles to First Super Bowl Win

The Philadelphia Eagles hoisted the Lombardi trophy high a er defeating the New England Patriots 41-33 in Super Bowl LII. The two offenses combined for a total of 1,151 yards, the most ever—not just in a Super Bowl, but any NFL game ever.

Eagles quarterback, Nick Foles, was declared Super Bowl MVP. Foles took over as the starting quarterback after losing Carson Wentz to injury in week 14. Losing Wentz could have easily sent the team into a downward spiral. Foles, however, stepped in and performed at a high level throughout the entirety of the playoffs, but saved his best performance for last. Foles threw for a total of 373 yards, threw three touchdowns and caught one touchdown.

Philadelphia played a strong first half in which Foles threw his first touchdown, a 34-yard pass to Alshon Jeffery. Former Patriot, LeGarrette Blount added to the lead when he broke away for a 21-yard touchdown.

Foles’ unorthodox receiving touchdown came at the end of the half with 38 seconds remaining.

Philadelphia was fourth and goal. They could either play it safe and kick the field goal or take the risk of going for a touchdown. Philadelphia head coach Doug Pederson gambled—he took the latter option and it paid off. In a beautifully executed trick play, tight end Trey Burton delivered a perfect pass to a wide-open Foles in the end zone, mimicking the exact play the Patriots had failed at earlier in the game.

The offense would not slow in the second half with New England scoring touchdowns on their first two drives and Philadelphia scoring a touchdown and eld goal on theirs.

Now up by only six points, New England was within striking distance. Strike they would when Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski hauled in his second touchdown of the night to give New England their first lead at 33-32. Foles responded with a gusty drive, ending with a touchdown pass to tight end Zach Ertz.

The score now 38-33 and only 2:21 seconds remaining in the game, Tom Brady took the field, trying to bring New England and himself a sixth Super Bowl title. Philadelphia’s defense had other plans, and on second down they sacked Brady, forced a fumble, and recovered the ball giving Philadelphia possession and almost certainly sealing New England’s fate.

Philadelphia ran down the clock to 1:05 and kicked a eld goal to give themselves an eight point lead.

Running out of time, New England desperately tried to put together a drive. With nine seconds remaining Brady launched a Hail Mary to the end zone. The Philadelphia defense awaited the pass, batting it down as time expired. With that final play, the Philadelphia Eagles, for the first time, became Super Bowl champions.

The editor may be reached at