Track and Field Team Goes the Distance in First Meet of Season

CAM PETERS • THE SPECTATOR

The track and field team at SeattlUniversity headed to University of Washington over the weekend for their first meet of the season. Energy was high as athletes from Stanford, UW,  OregoStateUniversitof Oregon and many more gathered for the UW Indoor Preview.

Seattle U attends this meet yearly, although for the first time they were accompanied by Kelly Sullivan, who is in his first year as head coach of mens and womens track and field. He is spending the first few meets working to understand the team to better prepare for upcoming season.

Theres a lot to look forward to in the upcoming season, but Sullivan is most excited simply to be the head coach at Seattle U. Even though Ive been a collegiate coach for over 30 years, its my first year as SUs head coach, and representing the red anblack at this university and being a part of it,he said.

Sullivan is taking the lead from athletes, getting to know how they practice and prepare, and focusing on individual goals. You dont want to get ahead of yourselftheres a lot of learning on both sides, Sullivan said. These first initial meets youre doing a lot of observation, a lot of critiquing, and then eventually youre sitting down and getting a better picture to work with.

CAM PETERS • THE SPECTATOR
CAM PETERS • THE SPECTATOR

Laurel Mack-Wilson takes an attempt at a bar 1.45m.

There are a combined 47 athletes on the women and mens track teams, and 28 men and women competed this weekend in events ranging from the 60 meter hurdles to the mile run. Many athletes competed in events outside of their traditional comfort zones, and others came very close to beating personal records.

The womens team did well, as senior Abby Wachter excelled in th400m dash, finishing first in her heat with time of 1:01.29. Over at the high jump, freshman Cora Devaney finished fifth in her flight, clearing 1.5m. Siobhan Rubio finished the 600m run second in her heat.

The mens team had a successful meeawell.  MatSeidel  broke hi personarecorfoth mile, placing ninth in his section with a time of 4:20.20. Also in the mile, Eli Boudouris and Lance Slichko both broke personal records, finishing first and second in their section, with times of 4:19.62 and 4:20.03 respectively. Cam Peters placed 11th at the high jump, clearing 1.8m.

As the season progresses, Sullivan will focus on how Seattle U can improvas  a  team    rathethan focusing on the opposition. I respect and appreciate [all teams in the WAC], I dont like singling any one or two or three teams out,Coach Sullivan said. Our competition is among ourselves and its also among the other schools in the conference.”

Rachel may be reached at