We Aren’t There Yet: Hollywood Post-Weinstein

If you dont routinely keep up with the stars of society, you likely woke uon January 8th, 2018 unaware that the night before marked a distinct change in Hollywood. At the Golden Globes on January 7th, women celebrities united ttake a stand against sexual violence through the Times Up campaign, dressin(almost) exclusively in black. Many brought social activists in lieu of dates, anthroughout the night women gave up their speaking time to draw attention tthe campaign, Natalie Portman pointedly introducing the all-male nominees for best director. For the first time, women took control of an award show thahistorically celebrates the white male to call out the abuse and harassment thehave suffered over the years. You could feel the empowered energy simply tuninin from home.

Times Up is a campaign created as a result of the recognition that people arbeing left out of the conversation that began the moment the Weinstein storbroke. Over 300 women in the entertainment industry have united to put aend to sexual assault and harassment in all workplaces. The campaign entailthe creation of a legal fund, and is aiming to target all men, not just the ones in the public eye.

However, people are extremely willing to accept this moments as a sign ochanges to come. Im sure we have all heard and seen this; we are seeing powerfumen stripped of their privilege, and hearing the discomfort this inspires in their peers.

Many forget that we have seen this before. In recent years the stars we knoand love have tried taking a stand and pointing out flaws in the industry, anwith little lasting success.

These are problems that are systematically enforced in the very structure of our society, capitalizing on the gender binary by dividing us into man and the otherthey cannot be solved overnight. It is satisfying and empowering to see women standing up to say, no more, but if there is one thing we can learn from our historis that change that questions the foundations of our society is difficult and slowWe are not there yet. Its going to take a lot more than women with social power changing their outfits while men don pins despite allegations against them. Thiis a promising start, we cannot stand up and declare freedom until every woman, no matter what race, age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other creeare united and standing up together. This is a small step toward a better future.

Rachel Larson, Staff Writer