Debrief of the 2017 NFL Trades

SAMIRA SHOBEIRI • THE SPECTATOR

The NFL generally has the quietest trade deadline of the major American sports leagues. This was not the case for this year’s deadline, which occurred at 1p.m. Pacific Standard Time, Oct. 31.

The Seattle Seahawks completed a trade with the Houston Texans for left tackle Duane Brown. The initial deal had Seattle sending cornerback Jeremy Lane, along with draft picks, back to Houston. However, Lane failed his physical and will stay with Seattle. The teams amended the trade. Seattle will now receive Brown and a 2018 fifth-round draft pick. Houston will receive a 2018 third-round pick and a 2019 second-round pick. Brown is a well-regarded offensive lineman. The Seahawks hope he can help solidify an offensive line that has struggled for the past several years.

SAMIRA SHOBEIRI • THE SPECTATOR
SAMIRA SHOBEIRI • THE SPECTATOR

The New England Patriots sent backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to the San Francisco 49ers for a 2018 second-round pick. Garoppolo has backed up Tom Brady since 2014. In that time, he has only started in two games. Despite his lack of experience, he is highly regarded, partly due to the fact he has learned under Brady. The trade will not turn the 49ers’ current season around, but is a move for their future. It is uncertain when, but Garoppolo may be given a chance to lead his own team and prove he is a franchise quarterback.

The Miami Dolphins sent running back Jay Ajayi to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a 2018 fifth-round pick. Ajayi has rushed for 465 yards without a touchdown this season. Ajayi was a Pro Bowler just last year, but his relationship with Miami’s coaches is strained. This trade provides the Eagles depth, and for just the cost of a fourth-round pick, it could pay huge dividends if Ajayi can get back to his 2016 form.

The Buffalo Bills traded defensive tackle Marcell Dareus to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a 2018 sixth-round pick. Jacksonville leads the league in sacks this season, and this addition only upgrades their stout defense. Buffalo acquired wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin from the Carolina Panthers for a third and seventh-round pick in 2018. Buffalo has lacked a receiving threat since trading away their most productive receiver, Sammy Watkins. Benjamin is averaging 14.8 yards per catch this season with two touchdowns.

The Los Angeles Chargers traded wide receiver Dontrelle Inman to the Chicago Bears for a conditional 2018 seventh-round pick. The pick is conditional on Inman’s performance for the remainder of the season.

The Cleveland Browns attempted to trade for Cincinnati Bengals backup quarterback AJ McCarron. The trade fell through when Cleveland failed to file the proper paperwork before the deadline. Cleveland appealed to no avail, and the trade was denied.

The editor may be reached at