Men’s Rugby is Back in Action

JESSIE KOON • THE SPECTATOR

Last weekend, Seattle University’s mens rugby club returned to Logan Field for the first official game of their second season. After weeks of practicing and a close scrimmage game against Willamette University, Seattle U was ready to take on University of Puget Sound (UPS), one of the main contenders in the Pacific Northwest Rugby Football Union.

JESSIE KOON • THE SPECTATOR
JESSIE KOON • THE SPECTATOR

Seattle U’s Club Rugby team playing against Wilammette University.

Being the second rugby season of the 2016-17 school year, the team has the potential come back even stronger than they were in the fall. The previous season not only gave them the opportunity to adapt to their new players and synergize as a team, but also to go up against the competition and study the way that they play. Coming back to the field with more practice and more experience, our players seem positioned to close out their 12th year as a club on a high note.

The game against Puget Sound is the first of four league games that will make up the winter/spring season, followed by two playoff games if men’s rugby continues to be successful. Though it is somewhat of a short season, with the league lasting less than a month, Seattle U’s team also plans to participate in a series of friendly games against its league opponents. This will effectively give fans more games to spectate and potentially allow for more games at home, making it easier for students to attend.

JESSIE KOON • THE SPECTATOR
JESSIE KOON • THE SPECTATOR

As it stands, the match against Puget Sound is the only game taking place at Seattle U, with the other three games being in other parts of the state and the wider Pacific Northwest.

“Our main rival is UPS, but we also play a lot of colleges in Oregon such as Reed College, Pacific University, OIT [Oregon Institute of Technology], and Willamette,” said Patrick Curtis, a sophomore pre-business major and one of the team leaders.

Though the season has already begun, there are still openings for those looking to compete with the team.

The men’s rugby club is continuing to accept members of all skill levels and rugby experience—whether you are an established player or simply looking to join in on some practices and learn the game. For those that are interested in participating, the best way to get your start is by attending one of the team’s practices, held twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday at Seattle U Park.

“There absolutely is still time to join,” Curtis said. “Anyone who is interested in playing or even just trying out rugby is welcome to join us at practice any time of the year, no experience necessary.”

For more information on the team, its schedule for the season and how to get involved, visit www.facebook.com/Seattle.University.Rugby.Club or contact the team at: [email protected].

Carlos may be reached at