Women’s Basketball Loses 1st WAC Game, Responds With Win

The two undefeated teams in the women’s basketball Western Athletic Conference (WAC) standings, Seattle University (8-13, 5-1 WAC) and New Mexico State (14-6, 6-0 WAC), went head to head on Thursday, Jan. 26, at the Pan American Center in New Mexico. Defeating the Redhawks, the Aggies took the victory in overtime, 74-69.

Since their opening game of conference play against CSU Bakersfield on January 7, the Redhawks had won every game. The teams they have beaten in the conference thus far are CSU Bakersfield, UMKC, Chicago State and Grand Canyon University.
After four consecutive wins against these teams, however, they fell five points short against the Aggies.

Although the Redhawks didn’t take the win on Thursday night, the Redhawk student-athletes vowed their fans at home as they fought till the very end. During the game, Kaylee Best, a fourth year student-athlete who plays wing for the Redhawks, was able to score 21 points, to go along with seven rebounds and three assists, challenging the Aggies to perform at their utmost best.

Alexis Montgomery, a fourth year wing position student-athlete for the Redhawks, scored 17 points, as senior Wilma Afunugo, scored 13 points and 7 rebounds.

The Redhawks led during the first quarter of the game, 21-18, however, right before halftime, the Aggies quickly took control of the ball and the scoreboard. Along with sporadic field goals, the Redhawks kept afloat with free throws as the Aggies led the game.

Both teams traveled back and forth on the court, both trying to keep their undefeated streak. They gave the game attendees a good game.

Proving they still pose a challenge in the WAC, Seattle University women’s basketball team took the win against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley on Saturday, March 4, at Edinburg, Texas, 67-54.

The Redhawks trailed 36-22 at halftime, but were not ready to lose back to back games. They went on an unprecedented 45-18 run in the second half to complete one of the largest comebacks in program history.

They were able to take the lead 43-40 during the second half after holding UTRGV to 2-15 shooting up to that point. This defense translated to offensive buckets.

Montgomery had a monster game, scoring 20 points to go along with 13 rebounds, five assists, two steals, and three blocks. Junior Jacinta Beckley contributed 18 points on just nine shots for an efficient performance.

As a team they shot 16-26 in the second half, and 9-10 from the free throw line.

So, like in all sports, a team will win some games and lose others. The Redhawks proved their mettle with the win against UTRGV. It is easy to roll over when down big at the half, especially coming off of a loss, but they responded well. The Redhawks will continue to fight for wins in conference play moving forward.

On Saturday, Feb. 4, they play against Utah Valley in Orem, Utah, where they will be playing their seventh game of conference.

Yesenia may be reached at