Men’s Basketball Falls Short of Win

The Seattle University men’s basketball team had their first Western Athletic Conference (WAC) game of the season this past Saturday against California State University Bakersfield (CSUB) at Bakersfield.

The Redhawks (8-8, 0-1) started the game off with high spirits and hope for their first conference win. They came off with a slow start but maintained a steady fight throughout the entire first half. The team hit just 3-of-10 while CSUB broke out with an early 18-8 lead. However, a jumper by freshman Morgan Means, a three point shot completed by senior Emmanuel Chibuogwu and a layup by redshirt freshman Matej Kavas helped the team get its spirit back nearing the end of the first half. The swift 7-0 run midway through the first half made it an 18-15 game, helping the Seattle U Redhawks regain some footing. Unfortunately, by the conclusion of the first half a 9 point margin left Seattle U behind 46 to 37. Overall, the Redhawks were on top of the board when it came to second chance, fast break and bench points, reminding the team that the fight was not over yet as they went to take on the second frame.

Starting the second half with a dynamic offense and an elevated defense, the team hit 12-for-23 for an over 50 percent clip. Meanwhile, the Runners’ faulted nine turnovers that the Redhawks were able to turn into 13 points. Coming up to the middle of the second half, the team reduced their margin to one due to a 9-2 run and a layup completed by redshirt senior Brendan Westendorf. Seattle U then fell short for the following four minutes, making no shots. Following that redshirt freshman Kavas made a three, with assistance from senior William Powell, and two free-throws to bring the Redhawks back up to within two. The small margin was short lived however, as the Runners’ came back to deliver the clutch from the foul line. The game ended within 7, Redhawks behind 78 to 71.

Although the Redhawks were not able to snag the win over the weekend, the team — as well as the fans — are optimistic for the next WAC games. The team continues to play without their 7’3” center Aaron Menzies resulting in an off-set of the team’s chemistry. Nonetheless, they consistently prove to put up a strong attack.

CSUB out-rebounded the Redhawks 39-19, which ultimately made a difference in the outcome of the game. They crashed the offensive glass hard turning 16 rebounds in 13 second chance points.

The Redhawks are hosting this Thursday, Jan. 12 against University of Missouri-Kansas City and this Saturday, Jan. 14 against Chicago State at KeyArena.