Redhawks Basketball Kicks Off at Midnight

KYLE+KOTANI+%E2%80%A2+THE+SPECTATOR+
KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR

Last Thursday saw the opening of the Fall Basketball season in the form of Midnight Madness, a nationwide event across college campuses to showcase teams and raise school spirit. Established fans as well as students seeing the team for the first time braved the storm to reach  Connolly Center, the venue for the event and the location of future home games. Once there, audiences were treated to free food, drinks and other items like t-shirts, given out by the university and sponsors of the team.

KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR
KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR

A highlight of the night was freshman #1 Morgan Means showing off a windmill dunk in the “PIG” competition.

The event began by introducing the players of the men’s and women’s basketball teams, as well as their coaches and supporting staff. In addition to being an opportunity to see the faces behind this year’s season and receive bios on all of the players, Midnight Madness also provided a chance to see them in action. The teams entertained audiences with a variety of friendly competitions and displays of their ability, including a men’s versus women’s team free throw challenge and synchronized stunt routines that coordinated each team in its entirety.

KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR
KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR

#24 Alexis Montgomery and #0 Brendan Westendorf dance together at half court as their teams enter the Conolly Center.

Special recognition was given to senior players as they took to their last season at Seattle U, with the coaches predicting that it would be a successful one. The coaches added that performance and team spirit relied on audience support and that if students come out to games, they would reward them with more wins, benefitting both parties.

In addition to the teams and athletics staff, the event was also populated by a variety of organizations associated with university sporting events. Officers from Redzone, the student body promoting participation in games and school spirit, introduced students to the Redhawk Rewards mobile app. By using the app and attending games, students can earn points exchangeable for prizes and drawings which will rotate over time. The current drawing will be for two Alaskan Airlines tickets to the destination of one’s choice, with each game attended increasing one’s chances of winning. Also present were Redline, Seattle U’s drumline, and the newly-formed Redhawk Band, both of which had performances as part of the event. These two performing groups will be making appearances at basketball games and associated events throughout the season.

KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR
KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR

Student drumline Redline performed several times throughout the night with their own unique rhythm and style.

Nearing the conclusion of the event, a student was able to take the field themselves as part of a half-court shot challenge with a prize on the line. The participant was selected for being the most spirited throughout the night and made their attempt with the entire crowd cheering for them, only narrowly missing the shot.

For more information on game schedules for the season, match results and the opportunity to buy tickets, visit  http://www.goseattleu.com/

Carlos may be reached at