The Week in Review

TRUMP EARNS ENOUGH DELEGATES TO SECURE NOMINATION—

Following a CNN delegate count on Thursday, May 26, Donald Trump has now officially reached the necessary 1,237 delegates to secure the Republican nomination. Though he is not the official nominee yet, this landmark in his campaign throws all concerns out the window of the convention being contested. Despite Calif. and N.J. still on the table for delegates, their representatives at the Republican National Convention will automatically support as Trump is the sole candidate on the Republican side. The news comes alongside the departure of Trump’s top campaign aide Rick Wiley on Wed amidst campaign tensions and internal strife.

BRYCE DEJEAN-JONES SHOT AND KILLED—

On Saturday, May 28, Bryce Dejean-Jones of the New Orleans Pelicans was killed on Saturday, May 28 whereafter a resident found the basketball player breaking into his apartment. Early in the morning, around 3:20 a.m., Dejean-Jones had reportedly kicked open the front door of an apartment he believed to belong to an “estranged acquaintance.” The resident is said to have heard Dejean-Jones enter, prompting him to retrieve a handgun. After trying to call out to the intruder, the resident says he was unanswered. Dejean-Jones then proceeded to open the bedroom door, which led the resident to shoot him in self-defense. Dejean-Jones had died from his wounds upon reaching a local hospital. Dejean-Jones had just signed a three-year contract with the Pelicans in February.

OBAMA VISITS HIROSHIMA—

President Barack Obama became the first sitting president to visit the Hiroshima Peace Memorial on Friday, May 27. Along with giving a speech in which he declared that “Technological progress without an equivalent progress in human institutions can doom us,” the President also met with survivors of the bombing in 1945, which left over 100,000 dead and thousands more injured. Obama’s visit also opened up new discussions about whether the United States should officially apologize for the bombings seventy-one years ago, but he did not issue any presidential apology during his visit.

SPORTS AUTHORITY SHUTS DOWN ALL ITS BRANCHES—

On May 28, the athletic retail store, Sports Authority, announced it would be shutting down every one of its 463 branches. Along with their announcement, the chain also declared a massive national sale of up to 30 percent off of every item. The store had filed for bankruptcy protection almost three months ago, but their sales were still dropping as they were facing stiff competition from online retailers. Sport Chalet, another sporting-goods chain, also announced their closer shorty before Sports Authority. Sports Authority was founded in Lauderdale Lakes, Fla. in 1987.

GARY JOHNSON WINS LIBERTARIAN PARTY NOMINATION—

On Sunday, May 29, the Libertarian party selected former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as their presidential nominee. Earning 49.5 percent of the votes in the first round, he faced Austin Petersen and John McAfee. After a second round, Johnson earned 55.8 percent and the nomination. After winning almost one percent in the 2012 election, Johnson hopes to capitalize on the chaos currently going on the in democratic and Republican parties. He stands as the only alternative to Trump and Clinton.

COUNCIL OF ISLAMIC IDEOLOGY PROPOSES VIOLENT LEGISLATION—

Legislation in Pakistan has been proposed that would allow husbands to “lightly beat” wives who refuse to have sex or to abide by their husband’s dress codes. The legislation gives guidelines about how to issue the beatings, suggesting to “hit her in areas where skin is not too thick and not too thin,” and to “not use shoes or a broom on the head, or hit her on the nose or eyes.” Outrage immediately followed, and it is suggested that men should be prosecuted if they do not follow the legislation if it is passed.